[NatureNS] Black chinned hummingbird

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 09:42:40 -0300

Hi Ken. I haven't seen the darn thing this am yet but I am late getting
going and one feeder needs refilling, due to wind, I think. The bird didn't
pump but did fan it's tail many times. Sort of a screwing motion. Like it
had an itchy bum, for want of a better description. When I thought something
is different, I tried to remember when the Rufus Allen was here what I was
to look for. I didn't have the camera handy, and couldn't get to it, so
since I had the laptop online in front of me I used that. The bird was
within 5' of me. What  caught my attention was the dark at the neck didn't
quite mesh with a Ruby throat. I have seen so many variations of that
throat, and certainly didn't match the other R/A Hummers so I just sat and
watched it.  Suddenly there was a band of deep mauve that wrapped around
like a priest collar, up high and very thin. Not over the shoulders or at
the breast. The next time it moved position I focused on that and when the
colour showed it was a deep cold purple. Almost shocking.
Yes, oh dear, I forgot about the visitors. We went through that with a
couple other birds. Most are fine, and many even very welcome, some are not
so much. This would likely be more so, wouldn't it?
Maybe I am wrong, heaven knows I almost expect to be  but I have a feeling I
am not. We sent the photo Steve took ( I wasn't there when he took it) to
someone and are awaiting results. I have the camera on the table with me as
I paint. Marg
Good luck , Marg.  I've noticed that my male RT hummers sometimes almost
look pregnant so maybe just fluffing his feathers against the rain & cold.
There was a note in Sibley that the black-chinned pumps its tail a lot which
might give you an ID.

Hope you have a winner and be prepared for visitors!  :-)

Ken

Port Mouton, NS