[NatureNS] The Taste of Black Walnut

From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 21:14:07 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a11438e2af4b0880543f8a27e

We don't get native black walnuts but butternut is naturalized from
neighbouring New Brunswick. Grimos nut farm out of Ontario sells bare root
seedling trees that survive. They also sell shagbark hickory and I'm hoping
these will survive NS. Another 50 years and we will have the cucumber
magnolia and sassafras.
Sook's cookbook  of the deep south has the black walnut fruitcake recipe.
The cake was originally made with moonshine but it now calls for bourbon
which makes baking a real pleasure.

On Dec 18, 2016 20:39, "Dean Kendall" <deankendall@paydaynet.org> wrote:

> Black Walnuts are very common here in SE PA, and my family harvested and
> processed many bushels of them every year.  Tho they have a strong
> (delectable) taste, I don't recall that we ever found a tree which bore
> nuts
> that were bitter.  There may be some, but seems a rare trait, at least down
> here.  Might be worth your while to check elsewhere than the place you
> found
> the bitter ones, if NS has Black Walnuts elsewhere.  I could also send you
> few nuts (assuming they'd pass Customs), but I can't vouch they'd be hardy
> in NS, altho they seem not at all cold tender here.
>
> Dean Kendall, Leesport, PA

 and I&#39;m hoping these will survive NS. Another 50 years and we will hav=
e the cucumber magnolia and sassafras.=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">Sook&#39;s co=
okbook =C2=A0of the deep south has the black walnut fruitcake recipe. The c=
ake was originally made with moonshine but it now calls for bourbon which m=
r><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Dec 18, 2016 20:39, &quot;Dean Kendall&quot=
; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:deankendall@paydaynet.org">deankendall@paydaynet.or=
g</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" =
style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Bla=
ck Walnuts are very common here in SE PA, and my family harvested and<br>
processed many bushels of them every year.=C2=A0 Tho they have a strong<br>
(delectable) taste, I don&#39;t recall that we ever found a tree which bore=
 nuts<br>
that were bitter.=C2=A0 There may be some, but seems a rare trait, at least=
 down<br>
here.=C2=A0 Might be worth your while to check elsewhere than the place you=
 found<br>
the bitter ones, if NS has Black Walnuts elsewhere.=C2=A0 I could also send=
 you a<br>
few nuts (assuming they&#39;d pass Customs), but I can&#39;t vouch they&#39=
;d be hardy<br>
in NS, altho they seem not at all cold tender here.<br>
Dean Kendall, Leesport, PA<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens-owner@chebu=
cto.ns.ca</a> [mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">natu=