[NatureNS] Things on the Lahave

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 17:55:29 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I also thank you Paul for sharing these great observations. The lake I live on (Torment) is part of the North R system that feeds into the Lahave R. My father scuba dived in the lake about 40yrs ago and my brother more recently. Both reported the same massive amount of saw logs,sticks, branches etc packed into the murky channel cut by the current. Not sure how deep but it is about 30' just off the point I am on. How this centuries old debris has influenced the fish and other biota I don't know. We were always told the eels lurked down there hiding in the debris to keep us from swimming out too far.There are definitely eels in this lake but I am not sure they live among the wood at the bottom. There are even rumours that a train car is down there from the logging days- that is what my father was looking for on his dives. (Read Buried in the woods : sawmill ghost towns of Nova Scotia / Mike Parker for a history of logging in this part of NS if you are interested).

And wow is the water low here too. The lowest I have ever seen it and very clear near shore as you report. And I too see a lot of Swamp Milkweed along the rocky stream which empties into Rocky Pond/Mossehorn Eddy. This old fishing spot of my father's does not seem like Monarch habitat however but I may be wrong about this.

Thanks again for the very interesting report.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings