[NatureNS] Butterfly numbers

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 09:24:07 -0200

--_1e8a7c1f-ab00-4d5b-bf62-6c166d7dbece_

I spent 5 days in the field while visiting in northern Cape Breton=2C retur=
ning yesterday. I saw three fritillaries in total=2C likely Great Spangled=
=2C but I could not catch up to them. No other butterflies!

In Kings County=2C virtually the same story but the lack of skippers is par=
ticularly noticeable & troubling.

Large numbers of moths coming to the lights=2C especially in Cape Breton=2C=
 so whatever is impacting the butterflies is not affecting the moth populat=
ion.

As for bumble bees=2C Bombus ternarius is always very common/numerous when =
goldenrod is at its height. Goldenrod does not attract other nectaring inse=
cts so its a mystery to me. This summer B. ternarius on the average appears=
 quite small indicating a lack of food for them in their larval stage.=20
Angus=20