[NatureNS] Ichneumon wasp?

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: pce@accesswave.ca
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 09:09:23 -0300

Bev-

Wow. That is an absolutely stunning photo. Fantastic resolution - even
the tibial spurs are sharp.

So interesting how the ovipositor is composed of three separate tubular
structures; two of them descending on opposite sides of the abdomen, the
third originating at a different location from the first two, somehow
all three joining up to form the whole ovipositor. I'd be very
interested to know more about what purpose each of the three pieces serves.

And note how tiny the connection between the thorax and abdomen is.

Thanks for sharing this.

Peter