[NatureNS] Monarch tag found in Mexico from NS

From: George Forsyth <g4syth@gnspes.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 13:37:26 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001a1149292a2a2a5a0537870021

Well done! How can we know that it's offspring might come to NS?

George Forsyth

On 12 July 2016 at 11:23, Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca> wrote:

> I finally got around to checking the Monarch Watch list of tags found in
> Mexico for the 2015 season. We have been tagging for several years and have
> never had a return BUT this year one of our tags was retrieved in El
> Rosario, Mexico.
> http://monarchwatch.org/tagmig/recoveries.htm  (The El Rosario Butterfly
> Preserve is 110 km west Mexico City)
>
> Monach UGL-881 was released on 29 August 2015 from our home at Brooklyn
> Corners, Kings County, Nova Scotia along with four other Monarchs. It was a
> female. Her tag was recovered on 6th of March 2016. We had tagged four of
> the five Monarchs that day. All total we tagged 50 Monarchs of 75 raised
> last year. UGL-881 was the ninth Monarch we released last year and the
> seventh one tagged. Interestingly, our tags ranged from UGL-875 thru
> UGL-824 and UGL-881 was the only UGL tag found this year.  The distance
> between our home and the El Rosario Reserve is a great circle distance of
> 4330 km .
>
> This answers some questions that we have had. Do our Monarchs go all the
> way to Mexico or head for Florida?  Can they make it all the way to Mexico
> from Nova Scotia? Are we really contributing to the maintenance of the
> migration of Monarch?
>
> This has encouraged us to continue our yearly efforts in raising Monarch
> above and beyond what can survive in the wild.
>
> ////// === ///////
> Larry Bogan
> Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia
> <larry@bogan.ca>

--001a1149292a2a2a5a0537870021

tra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On 12 July 2016 at 11:23, Larry Bogan <=
span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:larry@bogan.ca" target=3D"_blank">la=
le=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">I fina=
lly got around to checking the Monarch Watch list of tags found in Mexico f=
or the 2015 season. We have been tagging for several years and have never h=
ad a return BUT this year one of our tags was retrieved in El Rosario, Mexi=
co.<br>
" target=3D"_blank">http://monarchwatch.org/tagmig/recoveries.htm</a>=C2=A0=
 (The El Rosario Butterfly Preserve is 110 km west Mexico City)<br>
Monach UGL-881 was released on 29 August 2015 from our home at Brooklyn Cor=
ners, Kings County, Nova Scotia along with four other Monarchs. It was a fe=
male. Her tag was recovered on 6th of March 2016. We had tagged four of the=
 five Monarchs that day. All total we tagged 50 Monarchs of 75 raised last =
year. UGL-881 was the ninth Monarch we released last year and the seventh o=
ne tagged. Interestingly, our tags ranged from UGL-875 thru UGL-824 and UGL=
-881 was the only UGL tag found this year.=C2=A0 The distance between our h=
ome and the El Rosario Reserve is a great circle distance of 4330 km .<br>
This answers some questions that we have had. Do our Monarchs go all the wa=
y to Mexico or head for Florida?=C2=A0 Can they make it all the way to Mexi=
co from Nova Scotia? Are we really contributing to the maintenance of the m=
igration of Monarch?<br>
This has encouraged us to continue our yearly efforts in raising Monarch ab=
ove and beyond what can survive in the wild.<br>
Brooklyn Corner, Nova Scotia<br>
&lt;larry@bogan.ca&gt;<br>

--001a1149292a2a2a5a0537870021--