[NatureNS] Any bats being seen in NS ?

From: Ron Wilson <solidago123@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 21:47:19 -0300
To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
--001a113cd1043613e90536885477

Last Monday night I went on a search for bats with a strong flashlight from
11:00 pm- 11:45 pm.  A warm and still night.
I spent time on our dirt road and in our yard which overlooks a stream.
Unfortunately no bats were seen.
Of note was the significant amount of pollen floating through the beam of
the flashlight- possibly from the tall poplars - it was incredibly thick in
the air.

Good news is that Weds evening in our front yard just before sundown I
noticed my corgi watching something in the air and lo and behold - a bat
was flying over our yard. My guess is Little Brown Bat as it was definitely
a small bat.

Ron Wilson
Somerset NS ( near Berwick)

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Hebda, Andrew J <Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca
> wrote:

> I have seen several. Best way I found was while driving just after sunset
> to about 11 p.m.  2ndary rods.. use your high beams. They are relatively
> easy to differentiate from large moths or small owls.  I have encountered
> them in the Old Barns, South Maitland, Maitland and Selma Area of Hants
> County during the last 2 weeks..  There is only the occasional one on that
> loop (max encountered was 6).  In that section you would normally encounter
> several dozen.  Last year there were still numbers encountered on the loop
> to Shubenacadie as well as in the area around Scotch Village... Haven't run
> those this year yet.
>
> Certainly major reductions... estimated in excess of 95% last year on most
> of the mainland.
>
> Normal foraging areas from the past are virtually batless, and  other than
> one site at Maitland - DU  impoundment by Lawrence House, have not seen (or
> heard) any using usually fixed point monitoring - just use a BatBox III
> (Stag electronics).
>
> Has anyone else seen either individuals or multiples?
>
> Andrew
>

> A Hebda
> NSM Collections (Zoology)
>

>  ________________________________________

g flashlight from 11:00 pm- 11:45 pm.=C2=A0 A warm and still night.<div>I s=
pent time on our dirt road and in our yard which overlooks a stream.</div><=
div>Unfortunately no bats were seen.</div><div>Of note was the significant =
amount of pollen floating through the beam of the flashlight- possibly from=
I noticed my corgi watching something in the air and lo and behold - a bat =
was flying over our yard. My guess is Little Brown Bat as it was definitely=
a"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Hebda, A=
ndrew J <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:Andrew.Hebda@novascotia.ca"=
ckquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #c=
cc solid;padding-left:1ex"><br>
I have seen several. Best way I found was while driving just after sunset t=
o about 11 p.m.=C2=A0 2ndary rods.. use your high beams. They are relativel=
y easy to differentiate from large moths or small owls.=C2=A0 I have encoun=
tered them in the Old Barns, South Maitland, Maitland and Selma Area of Han=
ts County during the last 2 weeks..=C2=A0 There is only the occasional one =
on that loop (max encountered was 6).=C2=A0 In that section you would norma=
lly encounter several dozen.=C2=A0 Last year there were still numbers encou=
ntered on the loop to Shubenacadie as well as in the area around Scotch Vil=
lage... Haven&#39;t run those this year yet.<br>
Certainly major reductions... estimated in excess of 95% last year on most =
of the mainland.<br>
Normal foraging areas from the past are virtually batless, and=C2=A0 other =
than one site at Maitland - DU=C2=A0 impoundment by Lawrence House, have no=
t seen (or heard) any using usually fixed point monitoring - just use a Bat=
Box III (Stag electronics).<br>
Has anyone else seen either individuals or multiples?<br>
Andrew<br>
A Hebda<br>
NSM Collections (Zoology)<br>
=C2=A0________________________________________<br>
From: <a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens-owner@chebu=
cto.ns.ca</a> [<a href=3D"mailto:naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens-ow=
ner@chebucto.ns.ca</a>] on behalf of Ron Wilson [<a href=3D"mailto:solidago=
123@gmail.com">solidago123@gmail.com</a>]<br>
Sent: June-22-16 8:26 PM<br>
To: Nature NS<br>
Subject: [NatureNS] Any bats being seen in NS ?<br>
I have spent the past few late evenings scanning my yard and skies for bats=
 but have not seen one nor have I read any reports of any being seen.<br>
Has anyone seen any this season in Nova Scotia?<br>
Thanks, Ron Wilson<br>
Somerset NS<br>

--001a113cd1043613e90536885477--