[NatureNS] Swallows

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 13:03:36 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

YXN0LWxhbmd1
All,

Just an observation on Barn Swallows.

When Don and I had our farm in eastern Ontario, there were always a
number of Barn Swallows that nested in the rafters of our barn.  They
successfully raised many young for the first 20 years we were there.
We had no loft, but plenty of ventilation in the stable as we left
large doors open at the east and west ends of the barn, so always a
good breeze blowing through.  The swallows built nests attached to the
rafters. The adults would tear through the barn, often giving us a tip
of the wing on the head or hat as they zoomed past while we were doing
the milking (we kept a large herd of dairy goats at that time).  Then,
we started having hotter and more humid summers.  We noticed this
ouselves, not so much because we watched the thermometer, but because
Don and I were both very avid hikers and paddlers and we started to
find that we could barely stand being out in the sun on hot summer
days -- so we would only paddle on creeks overarched by trees. We
picked out hikes to avoid open trails over the rock expanses on the
Shield.   Anyhow, at this time, we noticed a very sad thing happening
in the barn.  We began to find young birds out of their nests and down
dead or dying on the stable floor.  We had noticed that, even before
they were of an age ready to fly, they would be perching on the edge
of the nests and we could see they were distressed from the heat.  We
couldn't think of anything to do about the situation as we had plenty
of vents at ceiling level as well as the aforementioned barn doors
that were left wide open through summer.  After a couple of summers of
almost total losses of nestlings, the swallows stopped nesting in the
barn and never returned.  I set this time as probably being around the
year 2000 or possibly a little before  as it was probably 8 to 10
years before I sold the farm after Don died.  I am wondering if the
swallows find many stables too hot for nesting now -- especially those
stables that don't have lofts with full hay mows.  That would be a
growing trend, I think, as most people now make round bales and don't
put so much hay up in their mows.  Those barns are probably not so
heat-insulated as they once were.  Stables such as ours, may have been
fine before, but with what seem to be increasingly hot summers, maybe
the heat levels are getting to the point that young birds expire.
Anyhow, just a first-hand observation of a noticeable decline and then
disappearance on my own farm back in eastern Ontario.

Bev Wigney
Round Hills, NS