[NatureNS] Tiger Swallowtails and Droagonflies

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 18:12:32 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

The warm and muggy day yesterday must have brought out the Tiger Swallowtails. There have been few butterflies around but today we saw several TSs along a short stretch of dirt road through the woods (Lakeview, Kings Co).

This road is bordered by cattail filled  ditches. Some species of Dragonfly also must have recently emerged. There was a steady stream of these relatively small ditch dragonflies criss-crossing the road. They never stopped long enough for me to get a good look at them.

Some things have been early this year but the moths are only just beginning to collect at the lights overnight here. Other years they have started to appear in numbers much earlier than late May.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.