[NatureNS] Kemptown intervale

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 12:21:36 -0400

* even if most of the trees have been cut, the forest floor flora can
likely be preserved if the stumps are allowed to sprout, and
shade-tolerant seedlings can grow rapidly. The site described at
http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.ca/2013/11/hawkridge-chipmunk-6oil-on-canvs-6-x-8.html
seems to have been clearcut in the mid 20th Century, but without grazing
or other disturbance, retained at least a lot of the forest floor diversity.

fred.

--
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/