[NatureNS] Ticks - request

Date: Sat, 7 May 2016 11:31:36 -0300
From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

alt=3D"Winking smi
Paul, and all,

I don't actually mind ticks much - I mean, I'm an entomology nut, so
there isn't much that bothers me.   It's the diseases that ticks can
carry that concern me a bit.  That said, I can't stay indoors when
there are things to see out in the woods and fields!  I go around in
shorts and a t-shirt and just flick the ticks off any time I feel them
crawling on me.  They are a nuisance on my two big Collie dogs though.

The ticks here at Round Hill are not usually too numerous, although
there was one year when they were quite plentiful through most of the
season.   Nova Scotia certainly doesn't have the market cornered on
ticks.  I've seen much worse than anything here while camped along the
John Day River in central Oregon.  Also, on some of the bottomlands in
Missouri (which now has a newly identified tick-borne disease, by the
way -- Heartland Virus).  However, the worst I've ever seen of ticks
was in some oak savannah in the coastal mountains of Mendocino County,
California.  They were just crazy.  One of my dogs, still a young pup
at the time, wandered off into some tall grass.  That night, I checked
her over (she was lying on my bed in the camper van) and she had many
dozens all over her - two or three clustered together working on the
same spot to get a bite going.  I was busy with the forceps for a good
hour.  Pretty darned disgusting compared to anything I've seen out
here in the east.  The thing I don't like about the ticks in the west
is that they seem to carry even more diseases than in the east - like
Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Colorado Tick Fever, and then Lyme,
Ehrlichiosis, and the other typical tick borne illnesses.  A
malacologist friend once got infected with RMSF while looking for
snails out in the west and he said it was quite the ordeal.

Anyhow, that's my interest - the species, their frequency, and what
diseases might be present in an area where I am camped, hiking, etc…

Bev Wigney -- a CFAer  - or may COTW (Citizen of the World)  is a
better description.  (-:
Round Hill, NS - when I'm not somewhere else on the planet.