[NatureNS] more ruffed grouse aggressive behaviour

From: GayleMacLean <duartess@EastLink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 08:10:43 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_7XNac2Fcztq1rOW5l0qXyA)

Very picturesque description of some of the bird behavior down there! Th=
oroughly enjoyed reading this! Obviously=2C meal preparation can occasio=
nally=2C be tricky!
 =

Gayle MacLean
Dartmouth
 =

On 03/18/16 10=3A41 PM=2C bev wigney =3Cbkwigney=40gmail=2Ecom=3E wrote=3A=
 =

=3E  =

=3E James=2C and all=2C
=3E =

=3E Very interesting stories about these Grouse interactions=2E  It=27s =
rather fascinating that there is a somewhat similar type of interaction =
with Roadrunners down here in the southwest where I spend my winters=2E =
 We think of these birds as being almost insanely nervous as they dart a=
round from bush to bush=2E  However=2C  many people have had experiences=
 withmRoadrunners that begin to become a frequent visitor to the yard an=
d will watch or follow them around=2C and eventually get to the point of=
 climbing up on picnic tables to beg for food=2E  One friend started fee=
ding one of these birds a little bit of hamburger meat when it would han=
g around his outdoor barbecue in the evenings=2E  It wasn=27t too long b=
efore the Roadrunner was coming to the screen door of the kitchen a coup=
le of times a day=2C to impatiently march back and forth waiting for a h=
amburger meat treat=2E  When the door opened=2C it would run right in an=
d wait to be fed=2E  I was there with my dogs while this was going on on=
e afternoon and the
=3E  bird was quite unafraid of me (a stranger)=2C or of my dogs=2E  Her=
e at the cabin where I stay=2C there is a Roadrunner that hangs around t=
he general area=2E  I see it zooming around from bush to bush and occasi=
onally walking around outside the cabin=2E  It never approaches me=2C bu=
t a friend who lives here in summer says that it occasionally peers in t=
he front door during monsoon season when the door is open most of the ti=
me=2E  It may just be that these desert birds are more willing to take r=
isks to get food=2E   The Canyon Towhees and Curve-Bill Thrashers here a=
t the cabin will come right into the cabin=2C or get into the barbecue i=
f I leave the lid open=2E They will take anything that is not covered wi=
th a pot lid=2E    I keep some food in my van and they often go in there=
 to steal vegetables=2E   When I am camping=2C the Mexican Jays will get=
 right into a shopping bag left on the picnic  table even for just a few=
 seconds=2E  They quickly tear holes in fruit or vegetables that are too=
 heavy to carry off=2E
=3E   One came into my van=2C gave me quite a pinching bite on the back =
of my leg=2C grabbed a sandwich in a plastic bag and flew away to a tree=
 to tear the bag apart to eat the sandwich=2E  I=27ve had Cactus Wrens a=
ctually grab at spaghetti if it is sticking up above the pot while it be=
gins to cook=2E  Needless to say=2C food preparation can be quite compli=
cated when you are trying to fend off an assortment of hungry birds that=
 are scurrying around your campsite=2E  =

=3E =

=3E Bev Wigney
=3E Round Hill=2C NS
=3E =

=3E =

=3E =

=3E On 2016-03-18=2C at 8=3A42 PM=2C James Hirtle =3Cjrhbirder=40hotmail=
=2Ecom=3E wrote=3A
=3E =

=3E =3E This topic is optimal for me at the moment=2C as I=27ve been mea=
ning to post something similar for awhile now=2E
=3E

--Boundary_(ID_7XNac2Fcztq1rOW5l0qXyA)

=3CDIV=3EVery picturesque=26nbsp=3Bdescription of some of the bird behav=
ior down there! Thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Obviously=2C meal prepa=
ration can occasionally=2C be tricky!=3C/DIV=3E=3CDIV=3E=26nbsp=3B=3C/DI=
V=3E=3CDIV=3EGayle MacLean=3C/DIV=3E=3CDIV=3EDartmouth=3C/DIV=3E=3CDIV=3E=
=26nbsp=3B=3C/DIV=3E=3CSPAN=3EOn 03/18/16 10=3A41 PM=2C =3CB class=3Dnam=
e=3Ebev wigney =3C/B=3E=26lt=3Bbkwigney=40gmail=2Ecom=26gt=3B wrote=3A=3C=
/SPAN=3E
=3CBLOCKQUOTE class=3DiwcQuote style=3D=22PADDING-LEFT=3A 13px=3B MARGIN=
-LEFT=3A 0px=3B BORDER-LEFT=3A =2300f 1px solid=22 cite=3Dmid=3A56A8E664=
-DB42-4C16-95C2-F8EEFB56A6B9=40gmail=2Ecom type=3D=22cite=22=3E
=3CDIV class=3D=22mimepart text plain=22=3EJames=2C and all=2C=3Cbr /=3E=
=3Cbr /=3EVery interesting stories about these Grouse interactions=2E=26=
nbsp=3B It=27s rather fascinating that there is a somewhat similar type =
of interaction with Roadrunners down here in the southwest where I spend=
 my winters=2E=26nbsp=3B We think of these birds as being almost insanel=
y nervous as they dart around from bush to bush=2E=26nbsp=3B However=2C=26=
nbsp=3B many people have had experiences withmRoadrunners that begin to =
become a frequent visitor to the yard and will watch or follow them arou=
nd=2C and eventually get to the point of climbing up on picnic tables to=
 beg for food=2E=26nbsp=3B One friend started feeding one of these birds=
 a little bit of hamburger meat when it would hang around his outdoor ba=
rbecue in the evenings=2E=26nbsp=3B It wasn=27t too long before the Road=
runner was coming to the screen door of the kitchen a couple of times a =
day=2C to impatiently march back and forth waiting for a hamburger meat =
treat=2E=26nbsp=3B When the door opened=2C it would run right in and wai=
t to be fed=2E=26nbsp=3B I was there with my dogs while this was going o=
n one afternoon and the=3Cbr /=3E=26nbsp=3Bbird was quite unafraid of me=
 (a stranger)=2C or of my dogs=2E=26nbsp=3B Here at the cabin where I st=
ay=2C there is a Roadrunner that hangs around the general area=2E=26nbsp=
=3B I see it zooming around from bush to bush and occasionally walking a=
round outside the cabin=2E=26nbsp=3B It never approaches me=2C but a fri=
end who lives here in summer says that it occasionally peers in the fron=
t door during monsoon season when the door is open most of the time=2E=26=
nbsp=3B It may just be that these desert birds are more willing to take =
risks to get food=2E=26nbsp=3B=26nbsp=3B The Canyon Towhees and Curve-Bi=
ll Thrashers here at the cabin will come right into the cabin=2C or get =
into the barbecue if I leave the lid open=2E They will take anything tha=
t is not covered with a pot lid=2E=26nbsp=3B=26nbsp=3B=26nbsp=3B I keep =
some food in my van and they often go in there to steal vegetables=2E=26=
nbsp=3B=26nbsp=3B When I am camping=2C the Mexican Jays will get right i=
nto a shopping bag left on the picnic=26nbsp=3B table even for just a fe=
w seconds=2E=26nbsp=3B They quickly tear holes in fruit or vegetables th=
at are too heavy to carry off=2E=3Cbr /=3E=26nbsp=3B One came into my va=
n=2C gave me quite a pinching bite on the back of my leg=2C grabbed a sa=
ndwich in a plastic bag and flew away to a tree to tear the bag apart to=
 eat the sandwich=2E=26nbsp=3B I=27ve had Cactus Wrens actually grab at =
spaghetti if it is sticking up above the pot while it begins to cook=2E=26=
nbsp=3B Needless to say=2C food preparation can be quite complicated whe=
n you are trying to f