[NatureNS] Vancouver has new "bird strategy"

Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 10:37:48 -0400
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a113ec9987aa28d052a156578

Grayson and Calver (2004, Regulation of cat ownership to protect urban
wildlife: a justification based on the precautionary approach. Royal
Zoological Society NSW 169-178)  found previously that Cat Density was not
a predictor of passerine numbers but that distance to bushland and the
density of urban housing were (both negative factors).  In the study cited
above (regulation of cat ownership etc), they conclude that "cat welfare is
the key issue in a precautionary approach for protection which respects
interests of cat owners". Cat welfare means keeping the beasts in at night
and desexing them so that we do not have a feral cat problem. In the
country here, people let cats breed in outbuildings and this leads to a
desperate situation for these cats and for wildlife.
Other authors warned that conclusions drawn in Britain over the impact of
cats (million birds and small mammals killed) were drawn from data on one
single village study in Felmersham. This author (BM Fitzgerald, 1990. is
cat control needed to protect wildlife? Environmental Conservation 17:
168-169) questioned the extrapolation which we should in a rural area like
NS where birdlife is spread widely over woodland and clearings

We have 3 desexed rescue cats that are in at night and well fed. There is a
local impact on mouse, vole and shrew (no birds seen taken yet) but the
population of these animals is greatly increased by the landuse round the
house..as was observed in Felmersham (rodents and house sparrows there).

Surely all of the following factors need to be considered before we
relegate the cat to the indoors:

woodland edges..plant more trees
brush piles..dont be tidy, a pile of woody debris is a refuge for small
birds and voles
sustainable agriculture..minimize use of pesticide sprays (see the "
Declines in insectivorous birds associated w hi levels of neonicotinoid" in
Nature 511: 341-3 (2014) and
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07/140709-birds-insects-pesticides-insecticides-neonicotinoids-silent-spring/
)

Cats connect people to nature, to animals that still have independence and
aloofness and are not wholly removed from primary adaptations. This makes
them attractive in connecting and grounding us but it also is why I might
be hammering away in their defense as they are still predators. The elderly
are given robotic substitutes for pets which only reinforces our need of
connection with the rest of the living world.

Nick

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 11:41 PM, Helene Van Doninck <
helene.birdvet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice to see the endorsement for keeping cats indoors!
>
> Helene
>
> Helene Van Doninck DVM
> Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre
> 2220 Irwin Lake Rd Brookfield NS Canada B0N1C0
> 902-893-0253
> helene.birdvet@gmail.com <birdvet@hotmail.com>
> www.cwrc.net
> Find us on Facebook
> <https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cobequid-Wildlife-Rehabilitation-Centre/134671693239334> and
> Twitter <https://twitter.com/CobequiWildlife>
>

> On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 11:35 PM, N Robinson <nrobbyn@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/city+vancouver+hopes+bird+strategy+will+take+flight/10438095/story.html

--001a113ec9987aa28d052a156578

rotect urban wildlife: a justification based on the precautionary approach.=
 Royal Zoological Society NSW 169-178) =C2=A0found previously that Cat Dens=
ity was not a predictor of passerine numbers but that distance to bushland =
and the density of urban housing were (both negative factors).=C2=A0 In the=
 study cited above (regulation of cat ownership etc), they conclude that &q=
uot;cat welfare is the key issue in a precautionary approach for protection=
 which respects interests of cat owners&quot;. Cat welfare means keeping th=
e beasts in at night and desexing them so that we do not have a feral cat p=
roblem. In the country here, people let cats breed in outbuildings and this=
 leads to a desperate situation for these cats and for wildlife.=C2=A0<div>=
Other authors warned that conclusions drawn in Britain over the impact of c=
ats (million birds and small mammals killed) were drawn from data on one si=
ngle village study in Felmersham. This author (BM Fitzgerald, 1990. is cat =
control needed to protect wildlife? Environmental Conservation 17: 168-169)=
 questioned the extrapolation which we should in a rural area like NS where=
div><div>We have 3 desexed rescue cats that are in at night and well fed. T=
here is a local impact on mouse, vole and shrew (no birds seen taken yet) b=
ut the population of these animals is greatly increased by the landuse roun=
d the house..as was observed in Felmersham (rodents and house sparrows ther=
tidy, a pile of woody debris is a refuge for small birds and voles</div><di=
v>sustainable agriculture..minimize use of pesticide sprays (see the &quot;=
 Declines in insectivorous birds associated w hi levels of neonicotinoid&qu=
ot; in Nature 511: 341-3 (2014) and =C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://news.nationalg=
eographic.com/news/2014/07/140709-birds-insects-pesticides-insecticides-neo=
nicotinoids-silent-spring/">http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/07=
;<a href=3D"mailto:helene.birdvet@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank"&g