[NatureNS] Red-Tailed Hawk behavior

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 18:23:33 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

This Fall I have been seeing glimpses of a dark hawk in Lakeview, Kings Co (nr E Dalhousie). Today I got a slightly better look at it and think it most likely is a juvenile Red-Tailed Hawk. I only saw its back and a sideview of the head when perched (at a distance with 10X binos through a windshield). No obvious markings and a dark face. But its short tail was obvious. I did not see the underside. According to McLaren's All the Birds of NS these hawks can vary a lot within the Eastern subspecies.

It was its behaviour that was interesting. I first noticed it swooping down ahead of me as I was slowly driving down a dirt road in an area of woods and fields. Then it landed up in one of the hardwoods lining the road until I got to about 100' away. Again it swooped down low over the road to the next tree perch until I got to about the same distance when off it went again in the same way, always landing with its back to me and swivelling its head. One more time and we ran out of road and the Red-tail veered off out of sight. I almost felt as though I was being led away. But from what?

Nancy
Dalhousie, Kings Co