[NatureNS] [BNS] Milkweed Survey Field Trip - Saturday

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 20:19:06 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Concerning the sticky pollen packets which David has mentioned, they do claim some victims. At my old farm in eastern Ontario, there were some stands of milkweed which I frequented daily to photograph insects.  Milkweed does attract a lot of insect activity - quite apart from Monarch butterflies.  I often found insects stuck to flowers or loaded down with many pollen packets.
This fly has quite a few:
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/31440127/large
And a Brown Mantid Fly with a packet stuck to one foot
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/45856022/original
Mantid flies are particularly attracted to Milkweed - right about the time that the flowers are at their stickiest.  I've watched these insects spend a great deal of time grooming themselves, working to remove the sticky pollen packets from their heads and feet.

regards,
Bev Wigney
Round Hill, N.S.