[NatureNS] spotted sandpiper hatch and sheltering behavior

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 15:13:51 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I thought I saw something move down in the grasses below and located a newly hatched Spotted Sandpiper teetering along through the dirt and greenery. After a while another movement came into view and a second one was in range. Then the father(?) which was peeping in the background landed nearby, raised one wing, bent it and fanned it out over its  back and the two fledglings climbed up and sheltered underneath this "umbrella"- a cool rain is falling. Soon two more fluffy little guys joined them on the adult's back as well. Four fledglings is a good hatch, two is the norm here. I had never seen an adult make a protective space under its wing like that before. But it would certainly have made for a much warmer, drier environment than underneath its body on a rainy day like today.