[NatureNS] wind turbines

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 16:08:57 -0300
From: Nicholas Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--089e0122894239be110513c814c3

This isn't an apology for wind farms but context. What are we to use for
power?
If we use fossil C then the impact on climate and variability of weather
patterns are more pronounced.
If we use  large scale hydro we get large impacts on the functionally
important and biodiverse riparian zone. Major use of forest for biomass
energy will have widespread impact on forest soils their carbon reserves
and on forest diversity.
Nuclear is an option that few appear to  support.
Given the lineup, as naturalists one might think we would look on wind more
favorably than the others from a habitat and biodiversity viewpoint.
having been part of an assessment of impacts of wind turbines on wetlands
and privee to the process of assessing impacts on birds, I was impressed at
the scrutiny exercised by DNR wildlife division. These are complex issues
and none, save major reduction in energy use, are without impacts. It is
good that naturalists show their concerns over these choices.

Nick

 n Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca> wrote:

> On 4/15/2015 11:19 AM, Laviolette, Lance (EXP) wrote:
>
>> Lastly, the last time I looked at the guidelines for conducting bird
inventories at potential sites they appeared to be inadequate. Determining
whether there was a risk to migrating birds by censusing a site 2-3 times
during the fall migrating period just doesn't cut it. That was a while ago
so perhaps they've now been improved.

> * back in the 19th Century, Uncle Henry David affirmed that to understand
a landscape we need one full-time recording naturalist for every six miles
(each 10km square in modern parlance).

On Apr 15, 2015 2:40 PM, "Fred Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca> wrote:

> On 4/15/2015 11:19 AM, Laviolette, Lance (EXP) wrote:
>
>  Lastly, the last time I looked at the guidelines for conducting bird
>> inventories at potential sites they appeared to be inadequate. Determining
>> whether there was a risk to migrating birds by censusing a site 2-3 times
>> during the fall migrating period just doesn't cut it. That was a while ago
>> so perhaps they've now been improved.
>>

> * back in the 19th Century, Uncle Henry David affirmed that to understand
> a landscape we need one full-time recording naturalist for every six miles
> (each 10km square in modern parlance).
>
> I've never seen any evidence that he was wrong about this.
>
> fred.
>           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
> Daily Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
> Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
> Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm
>     RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
>    on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
>     (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca/

--089e0122894239be110513c814c3

re we to use for power?<br>
If we use fossil C then the impact on climate and variability of weather pa=
tterns are more pronounced.<br>
If we use=C2=A0 large scale hydro we get large impacts on the functionally =
important and biodiverse riparian zone. Major use of forest for biomass ene=
rgy will have widespread impact on forest soils their carbon reserves and o=
n forest diversity.<br>
Nuclear is an option that few appear to=C2=A0 support.<br>
Given the lineup, as naturalists one might think we would look on wind more=
 favorably than the others from a habitat and biodiversity viewpoint. <br>
having been part of an assessment of impacts of wind turbines on wetlands a=
nd privee to the process of assessing impacts on birds, I was impressed at =
the scrutiny exercised by DNR wildlife division. These are complex issues a=
nd none, save major reduction in energy use, are without impacts. It is goo=
d that naturalists show their concerns over these choices.</p>
ref=3D"mailto:bckcdb@istar.ca">bckcdb@istar.ca</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; On 4/15/2015 11:19 AM, Laviolette, Lance (EXP) wrote:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Lastly, the last time I looked at the guidelines for conducting bi=
rd inventories at potential sites they appeared to be inadequate. Determini=
ng whether there was a risk to migrating birds by censusing a site 2-3 time=
s during the fall migrating period just doesn&#39;t cut it. That was a whil=
e ago so perhaps they&#39;ve now been improved.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; * back in the 19th Century, Uncle Henry David affirmed that to underst=
and a landscape we need one full-time recording naturalist for every six mi=
les (each 10km square in modern parlance).<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I&#39;ve never seen any evidence that he was wrong about this.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; fred.<br>
&gt; ------------------------------------------------------------<br>
&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Frederick W. Schueler &amp; Aleta K=
arstad<br>
&gt; Daily Paintings - <a href=3D"http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com=
/">http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/</a><br>
&gt; Vulnerable Watersheds - <a href=3D"http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca=
/">http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/</a><br>
&gt; Mudpuppy Night in Oxford Mills - <a href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1=
.htm">http://pinicola.ca/mudpup1.htm</a><br>
&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0<br>
&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52&#39;N 75* 42&#=
39;W<br>
&gt; =C2=A0 =C2=A0 (613)258-3107 &lt;bckcdb at <a href=3D"http://istar.ca">