[NatureNS] wind turbines

Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 11:55:49 -0400
From: N Robinson <nrobbyn@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e013a2b2c8623230513c561aa

I asked Ted Chesky of Nature Canada at their Town Hall meeting last fall,
what there stance was on Wind Turbines, as I knew there was a controversial
Wind Farm proposed for Amherst Island in Lake Ontario, where owls  nest.
Ted  said that they support the technology, as it is "green" energy, but
lobby to have the turbines placed away from sites where migrating and
nesting birds could be affected.  There are quite a few articles online
about the Amherst Island plan (and Wolfe Island where there are turbines) -
helpful reading to get a deeper understanding of the problem, political
battles, etc.

I noticed around Point Pelee when I was there last that there are a lot of
wind turbines up to Blenheim and then after Leamington so I wondered if
that meant that the citizens and birding groups won that battle...?

Nancy Robinson

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Alix d'Entremont <
alixdentremont@hotmail.com> wrote:

> John and others,
>
> Raymond d'Entremont (a very experienced birder) from Pubnico has a route
> around the wind turbines that he walks every morning throughout most of the
> year (he probably skips harsh mid-winter days). If I remember correctly, he
> very rarely sees any dead birds at the base of the windmills. I have never
> seen any myself. I also wonder how quickly a dead bird would be carried off
> site to become a meal (and therefore represent an undetectable kill).
>
> The Roseate Terns are using an area east of John's Island near the tip of
> Pubnico Point for feeding (at least they did in 2012). A direct route from
> the Roseate Tern colony to this feeding area brings them close to the wind
> turbines. I've seen them heading in that direction before, but they seem
> to fly above water and do not cross the land to get to John's Island. See
> Ted's website for details about this feeding area:
>
> http://teddeon.com/tern12.html
>
> In July of last year the Roseate Terns (and Common Terns) were feeding
> just north of Dennis Point Wharf in Pubnico Harbour. A direct flight from
> their colony to this feeding area is a few kilometres north of the wind
> turbines.
>
> *---*
>
> *Alix Arthur d'Entremont*
> *BSc Geomatics Engineering*
>
> 292 Abbott's Harbour Road
> Middle West Pubnico
> Yarmouth Co., Nova Scotia
> Canada B0W 2M0
>
> Phone: +1 902 762 2082
> Mobile: +1 902 307 0373
> e-mail: alixdentremont@hotmail.com
> Bird Photography http://www.flickr.com/photos/alixd/
> Bird Documentation Photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/130170873@N08/
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/130170873%40N08/>
> Blog http://alixdentremont.blogspot.ca/
>

> > From: nhungjohn@eastlink.ca
> > To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> > Subject: RE: [NatureNS] wind turbines
> > Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 10:54:57 -0300
>

> > Based on the digging I have done, the effect turbines have on birds and
> bats
> > depends on location and orientation, among other things. Mountain passes
> > and headlands sounded like places to avoid, so all things considered, the
> > Lower West Pubnico wind farm shouldn't have happened, what with the
> Roseate
> > terns nesting on the nearby Brothers.
> >
> > So a couple of years ago, I asked Ted D'Eon if he had noticed any adverse
> > effect of the turbines on the terns. My recollection is that he gave me a
> > pretty unequivocal "No."
> >
> > Alix, have you heard anything on that?

l meeting last fall,=A0 what there stance was on Wind Turbines, as I knew t=
here was a controversial Wind Farm proposed for Amherst Island in Lake Onta=
rio, where owls=A0 nest.=A0 Ted=A0 said that they support the technology, a=
s it is &quot;green&quot; energy, but lobby to have the turbines placed awa=
y from sites where migrating and nesting birds could be affected.=A0 There =
are quite a few articles online about the Amherst Island plan (and Wolfe Is=
land where there are turbines) - helpful reading to get a deeper understand=
 around Point Pelee when I was there last that there are a lot of wind turb=
ines up to Blenheim and then after Leamington so I wondered if that meant t=
, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Alix d&#39;Entremont <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a h=
ref=3D"mailto:alixdentremont@hotmail.com" target=3D"_blank">alixdentremont@=
hotmail.com</a>&a