[NatureNS] Eurasian Kestrel

From: Paul Murray <murraypaul@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 19:12:14 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01D0640A.F0FA9930

March 21, 2015

Hi All,

That is really distressing news about the Eurasian Kestrel meeting his =
demise.  Like many others I have had a great deal of pleasure observing =
and photographing the bird.  I am a little surprised that a hawk (one of =
the Rough-legged or the Bald Eagle?) got him.  On March 8th I observed =
and photographed him putting the run to the dark phase Rough-legged =
Hawk!  I would not have thought a =E2=80=9Clumbering=E2=80=9D =
Rough-legged or Bald Eagle would have been able to catch the speedy =
Kestrel.  This event reminds my wife and I about our Townsends Warbler =
who fed from our deck feeders when we lived in Saint John, NB a few =
years ago.   The bird hung around for about two weeks one February and =
became a real celebrity.  I think we served tea to every serious birder =
in New Brunswick while they observed the bird from our living room!  =
Unfortunately, the day before the CBC radio interview in our living =
room, he was taken by our resident Sharpie while my wife watched out the =
window!  Sharpie even had the nerve to come back an hour later for =
Chickadee desert.

Anyway, I added a couple of pictures of the Kestrel vs. Hawk to my =
galley along with a few pictures of one of the light phase RLHA eating =
something large and furry? yesterday afternoon on the ridge near the =
bunker at the Hartlen Point GC.  Both light phase birds were sitting on =
the bunker and a nearby pole after =E2=80=9Clunch=E2=80=9D.  See the =
link below:

http://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2015/n-3GtBJ

Paul Murray
Dartmouth
------=_NextPart_000_0025_01D0640A.F0FA9930

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>March 21, 2015</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Hi All,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>That is really distressing news about the Eurasian Kestrel meeting =
his=20
demise.&nbsp; Like many others I have had a great deal of pleasure =
observing and=20
photographing the bird.&nbsp; I am a little surprised that a hawk (one =
of the=20
Rough-legged or the Bald Eagle?) got him.&nbsp; On March 8th I observed =
and=20
photographed him putting the run to the dark phase Rough-legged =
Hawk!&nbsp; I=20
would not have thought a =E2=80=9Clumbering=E2=80=9D Rough-legged or =
Bald Eagle would have been=20
able to catch the speedy Kestrel.&nbsp; This event reminds my wife and I =
about=20
our Townsends Warbler who fed from our deck feeders when we lived in =
Saint John,=20
NB a few years ago.&nbsp;&nbsp; The bird hung around for about two weeks =
one=20
February and became a real celebrity.&nbsp; I think we served tea to =
every=20
serious birder in New Brunswick while they observed the bird from our =
living=20
room!&nbsp; Unfortunately, the day before the CBC radio interview in our =
living=20
room, he was taken by our resident Sharpie while my wife watched out the =

window!&nbsp; Sharpie even had the nerve to come back an hour later for=20
Chickadee desert.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Anyway, I added a couple of pictures of the Kestrel vs. Hawk to my =
galley=20
along with a few pictures of one of the light phase RLHA eating =
something large=20
and furry? yesterday afternoon on the ridge near the bunker at the =
Hartlen Point=20
GC.&nbsp; Both light phase birds were sitting on the bunker and a nearby =
pole=20
after =E2=80=9Clunch=E2=80=9D.&nbsp; See the link below:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><A =
title=3Dhttp://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2015/n-3GtBJ=20
href=3D"http://scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2015/n-3GtBJ">http:/=
/scranlocker.smugmug.com/Nature/Nature-2015/n-3GtBJ</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Paul Murray</DIV>
<DIV>Dartmouth</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0025_01D0640A.F0FA9930--