[NatureNS] Nova Scotia Sunday Hunting survey

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 12:28:24 -0400
From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

"Nova Scotia has not had a non-hunting person killed or injured in a
hunting accident "

Unfortunately, this is not correct. Dave Webster referenced one
incident that I also remember very well. It would have been the late
70's or early 80's. A farm worker was installing mouse guards in a
commercial orchard in Morristown. He was probably kneeling as you have
to wrap them around the young trees from the ground up. This was a
large farm with several large blocks of orchard, not a few trees "way
out back". He was shot & killed by a hunter who claimed that he looked
like a bear. As I recall, there were eventually no penalties for the
hunter. This was very difficult for the orchard industry at the time
as it's impossible to not be out working in your orchard during
hunting season.

Tony might want to research his statement.

Rick Whitman