[NatureNS] Bayberry

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 16:53:24 +0000

Me too: on-line sources quote up to 1lb of wax from only 4lb of berries, which is an amazingly high yield from my very limited experience, and sounds like others' too.
Is part of the problem that there is more than one species of 'bayberry'?  Myrica cerifa (American bayberry, wax myrtle, more southern), M. pensylvanica (Northern bayberry), M. gale (sweet gale, bog myrtle, holarctic) all seem as if they might fit the description often used, "E. Atlantic coast".
Perhaps one of these (cerifa?) produces lots of wax, but the others don't?  That might explain the varied experience in collecting wax.

Does anyone know which species is most commonly used for candles (cerifa?)?
Does anyone know which species we have locally here, or is there more than one species?

It may be essential to get these identifications straight to avoid further disappointment, before embarking on more candle-making.
Steve (Hfx)