[NatureNS] Sewer Strolls: Before and After Harbour Cleanup ?

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2015 19:54:55 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

A further note to Lance's observations:

One summer I worked with some folks studying duck habitat in NS and I did the macro-invertebrate sweeps and cores of various water bodies from a canoe. Two of these were sewage ponds in Canning and Port Williams. The invertebrates present in these places were diverse and abundant- not only rat-tailed maggots and such but also dragonfly- and damselfly nymphs, water beetles, water bugs of various sorts, caddisflies, snails etc. Frankly an amazing supply of duck food compared to even the most nutrient-rich natural water bodies sampled. No wonder ducks hang out around sewage. Harbour and other salt water outfalls host many crustaceans, molluscs and other benthic creatures as well as fish that would attract diving ducks and other birds.

Not my most pleasant sampling locations that summer but nevertheless informative.

Nancy