[NatureNS] Pileated nest; old

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 20:11:20 -0400

Dear All,                            Nov 12, 2014
    While salvaging firewood from Arthur windfalls I came across a Pileated
nesting hole.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/91817127@N08/15590395409/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/91817127@N08/15591071697/

    As can be seen in the second photo there is not much wood around the
cavity so trees (especially slinky trees) frequently break at the cavity
when blown over. Or sometimes the top breaks off at the cavity, leaving the
stub standing and in either case the cavity is fractured  So I decided to
take some shots of this intact one; unfortunately only after having chunked
it.

    There was about 5 cm of shredded wood at the bottom of the hole, which I
removed, but no clear indication that the nesting cavity had been used.

    Because it is very difficult to chisel a cavity along the axis of sound
wood and also because I have never seen a Pileated cavity in a tree that
lacked heart rot (and I may have said this previously), I have come to
believe that Pileated cavities are always made in trees with some heart rot.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville