[NatureNS] question re plurals of bird names?? (from nitpicker Jim)

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 20:50:08 -0400

Hi Jim & All,                                Nov 6, 2014
    Within reason, I think that such considerations do matter. In e-mails
one tends to be sloppy; but precise prose aids unambiguous thinking. And
conveying any concept that is even slightly unfamiliar to the reader is more
difficult than most suppose.   But when to use the singular or plural for
birds is not a question that keeps me awake at night. In the end what
matters is whether or not your message will be clear to the reader.

    When making preparations for some multi-step procedure I might say "We
will get all of our ducks in a row today and then start the job tomorrow".
If it is raining one might observe that it is "Good weather for ducks".  But
if a quantitative estimate or qualitative measure were involved I might use
the singular; 12 duck, few Mallard. And Snipe always singular; perhaps.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville