[NatureNS] Revenue Canada and Non-Partisan Activities

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 21:02:14 -0300

e proposed for&amp;nbsp;societies&amp;nbsp;
Hi John & All,                        Oct 17, 2014
    This is one of those topics that touches just about everything in one
way or another. But I will be brief.

    With respect to the two-way choice I would accept both as valid.

    I may be repeating myself but, on the subject of choice: freedom of
thought and expression without fear of retaliation, provided it does not
infringe on similar rights of others, has been throughout the history of
humanity a very rare condition. Our current immense prosperity is in large
measure a consequence of the almost unique conditions that gradually
developed over the last five centuries in the Western world.

    On the other hand, status as a registered charity for tax purposes is a
small bone that is offered to restrain freedom of choice. It seems obvious
that a Naturalist Organization would advocate on behalf of the natural world
and perhaps the best way to maintain that freedom would be to de-register
the organization; if necessary by a name change.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville