[NatureNS] Swift nests

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 09:25:45 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

ere about 3 week
--089e011839a6a711a60500aa20bb

Ken asks, "I am unsure why swifts disappear from the roosts before nesting
season is done." I assume that those at the roost are non-breeders? So I
guess one could ask "Why do they stay this late?" I realize that the first
frost, let alone persistent frosts, are still weeks away, but it could be
that the non-breeders just aren't going to take the chance and hence fly
south with guarantees of good insect abundances in their journey.

My 1.89 cents worth.
Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 14 August 2014 23:45, Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca> wrote:

> Ken McKenna
> Box 218 Stellarton NS
> B0K 1S0
> 902 752-7644
> Hi James
> I am sure Helene will chime in on this, but the birds found were displaced
> from a chimney nest and delivered sans parents to a New Glasgow vet clinic
> and had quite a ways to go before being released. Helene likes to release
> at a known roost in the evening as the other birds in the area are going in
> and thus the young ones will be guided by others as to when and where to go
> in migration. This gets less reliable after mid August. as birds going to
> roosts declines to nil. In New Glasgow tonight I had 9 birds so soon all
> will be gone from this area and it will be awhile before the Quebec bound
> rescued swifts will be released. I know there are still swifts on or near
> nests. I am unsure why swifts disappear from the roosts before nesting
> season is done. One of life's little mysteries??  It sure has been proven
> in spades this year that many swiftlings are around in August. For the last
> number of years, I have seen very few swifts in Pictou Co. after
> mid-August.
> cheers
> Ken
>
> PS It also could be possible there are other birds already in the chimney
> before I arrived tonite, but I think that is less likely.

f;font-size:12.666666984558105px">I am unsure why swifts disappear from the=
 roosts before nesting season is done.&quot; I assume that those at the roo=
st are non-breeders? So I guess one could ask &quot;Why do they stay this l=
ate?&quot; I realize that the first frost, let alone persistent frosts, are=
 still weeks away, but it could be that the non-breeders just aren&#39;t go=
ing to take the chance and hence fly south with guarantees of good insect a=
bundances in their journey.</span><div>

=3D"font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:12.666666984558105px">Randy</spa=
n></div>

S.</div>
an dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:kenmcken@eastlink.ca" target=3D"_blank=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex">

<u></u>

20752-7644" value=3D"+19027527644" target=3D"_blank">902 752-7644</a><br></=
div>
aced=20
from a chimney nest=C2=A0and delivered sans parents to a New Glasgow vet cl=
inic=20
and had quite a ways to go before being released. Helene likes to release a=
t a=20
known roost in the evening as the other birds in the area are going in and =
thus=20
the young ones will be guided by others as to when and where to go in migra=
tion.=20
This gets less reliable after mid August. as birds going to roosts declines=
 to=20
nil. In New Glasgow tonight I had 9 birds so soon all will be gone from thi=
s=20
area and it will be awhile before the Quebec bound rescued swifts will be=
=20
released. I know there are still swifts on or near nests. I am unsure why s=
wifts=20
disappear from the roosts before nesting season is done. One of life&#39;s =
little=20
mysteries?? =C2=A0It sure has been proven in spades this year that many=20
swiftlings are around in August. For the last number of years, I have seen =
very=20
few swifts in Pictou Co. after mid-August. </div>
s=20
already in the chimney before I arrived tonite, but I think that is less li=
kely.=20
-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px" dir=3D"ltr">
  <a title=3D"jameslchurchill@gmail.com" href=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gma=
il.com" target=3D"_blank">James Churchill</a> </div>
s.ca" href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">naturens</a=
25=20
  PM</div>
  re-habbed &#39;Swiftlings&#39;. Local experts please chi(r)p in and corre=
ct any=20
  misinformation.<br></div>
  August&#39;?=C2=A0<br></div>
=20
  BSC)</div>
 and=20
  many unknown)</div>
seem=20
  to occur throughout August, in many years birds are sticking around until=
=20
  early September (late nesters like this?)<br></div>
 leave by=20
  mid-September&quot;<br></div>
ft=20
  young discovered in August do not necessarily need our help if found. Jus=
t=20
  suggesting it would be unfortunate for the meme to be promoted that Augus=
t=20
  Swiftlings are unusual and need to be helped if found. (&#39;rescuing&#39=
; is a=20
  different discussion!)</div>
d not=20
  have been helped in some way by Cobequid; just that Swifts are likely not=
 gone=20
  from NS by mid-August, and August Swiftlings are perhaps not unusual. In =
the=20
  spirit of discussion, happy to hear arguments otherwise that bring us clo=
sest=20
  to the true story for NS).=C2=A0</div>
lison=20
  Webster <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" targe=
PADDING-LEFT:1ex" class=3D"gmail_quote">Dear All, =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0=20
    =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Aug 14, 2014<br>=C2=A0=
=20
    =C2=A0I notice in yesterday&#39;s Chron. Hrld. article (Swifts perk up =
after=20
    Cobequid centre care) that &quot;The swifts usually leave the small nes=
t attached=20
    to the inside of a chimney at dawn...&quot; which lays the groundwork f=
or a host=20
    of further explanations such as-- but sometimes remove it then if the e=
arly=20
    market for false bird&#39;s nest soup is trending upward. =C2=A0-- and =
arrange=20
    to have it removed later in the day when it is not so darn dark in ther=
e.=20
    =C2=A0-- =C2=A0and sometimes just leave it there and move on; provided =
they=20
,=20
all"><span class=3D"HOEnZb"><font color=3D"#888888">
mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jameslchurchill@gmail.c=
om</a><br><a href=3D"tel:%28902%29%20681-2374" value=3D"+19026812374" targe=
t=3D"_blank">(902)=20
quote></div>

--089e011839a6a711a60500aa20bb--