Decision process rant: Re: [NatureNS] SMU plans threaten precious Oak

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 19:48:09 -0300

Hi John & All,                                June 21, 2014
    Amen to that (Kentville just destroyed a perfectly good school complex
on a excellent school site as a consequence of collective stupidity) but in
general it seems to me that pivotal decisions, at all levels of government
and corporate management, are consistently wrong in this age of foolishness.

    We have machines now that take corrective action in microseconds and
corporate structures in which it takes 10 years for a faulty and potentially
fatal switch problem, reported by a safety engineer, to be noticed by
management.

The problem of reaching sound decisions was solved long ago. To paraphrase a
passage from the bible--  Go to the ant thou dummy. Consider her ways and be
wise. As described in National Geograophic (year ?) ants and other social
insects have evolved mechanisms that lead to sound decisions. They have no
leaders.  To get that "I yam da 'those O-rings will do just fine' boss" out
of the picture makes all the difference. The ants gather information and by
a process of gradual consensus reach decisions that are of benefit to the
colony as a whole. Ants, by being very successful, demonstrate the power of
true democracy and the power of good decisions.

    For example, a Maine to Yarmouth ferry is a good idea but ants would
never decide to go from zero passengers to 1200 passengers in one step. They
would not even steal plans for a schooner, falsify the name and then proceed
to introduce expensive design changes that render it unseaworthy and perhaps
even unharbourworthy.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville.