[NatureNS] Painted turtles, many chipmunks

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:09:38 -0300

Yesterday as we were returning to Liverpool from Annapolis along route 8
about 4 to 4 :30,  we were automatically checking to see which of the big
nests were occupied and as we came along to the one on the right, an osprey
was showing quite clearly standing on the nest edge. It seemed to be
watching something so I started to closely watch the roadside. There was a
turtle on the far side of the right shoulder, possibly digging, although it
seems to be a bit late no? Then on the left within an 8th of a mile further
on there was one walking toward the pavement. Traffic was next to nil, all
day so we were able to go quite slowly and that smaller one was a painted
for sure, Steve said.  We did not attempt to move either or approach
although had I thought of it it could have been a good photo op. I figured
they knew what they were about better than I knew so we let them be. No sign
of any coming through Hibernia turns or Cameron Corner so hopefully there is
something successful there.
I'm not sure when they start to reproduce age/size wise. I have a book and
need to dig it out to see what it says. Also we wonder if they are a food
source for the big birds once they get to a certain size or is it open
season all the time ? Have any of the nest checkers ever found remains of
turtles? At the graveyard in Annapolis just as you start the rise to
Lequille, we checked in on some family members and were interested to see
many young, and very fresh looking chipmunks popping in and out of places
everywhere! I know a few residents who would find that most entertaining
:?))

http://MargMillard.ca