[NatureNS] Nature Notes From Today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 21:08:33 +0000

--_906cc9d9-db5a-41be-b243-708fdb56b8f5_

I went to one of my favourite stillwaters fishing today.  I saw lots of tro=
ut rising after insects=2C but was not able to match wits to determine what=
 they were feeding on.  I raised many but went away empty handed.  I had a =
good day though in that I saw a spring peeper of which they are not often e=
asy find.  I had other frog species as well and spotted loads of tadpoles. =
 I also saw about five or six species of butterflies.  I was only able to c=
apture a photo of one though=2C which I believe is a pine elfin.  I'll veri=
fy this once I download the photos.  I also saw my first tiger swallowtail =
for the year today.  As well there was one dragonfly active.  I need to key=
 that out from the picture as well.  It was a reddish-yellow one that was a=
bout an inch and a half long.  The resident beaver scared the daylights out=
 of me as usual.  I had my head down and it made me kink my neck as I broug=
ht my head up too rapidly.  It still aches but snapped nicely to aleviate t=
he initial pain.  Birding was good although I did not have my binoculars.  =
I was still able to see two ovenbirds=2C three black-throated green warbler=
s=2C three blackburnian warblers=2C a hairy woodpecker=2C a common yellowth=
roat=2C three black-capped chickadees=2C a yellow-rumped warbler and heard =
about eight or nine other species that I did not lay eyes on.  The best bir=
d that I saw was a common nighthawk=2C that was constantly calling and I co=
uld hear the wings booming.  This is a location the same as last year and I=
'll send off my gps co-ordinates from close to where the bird was.  I also =
have another location that I need to get a gps for from a friend who has a =
resident bird back on territory. =20
=20
Later in the day I took a swing out along Crescent Beach.  There were still=
 13 black-bellied plovers there.
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater =20
 		 	   		  =

--_906cc9d9-db5a-41be-b243-708fdb56b8f5_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
f my favourite stillwaters fishing today.&nbsp=3B I saw lots of trout risin=
g after insects=2C but was not&nbsp=3Bable to match wits to determine what =
they were feeding on.&nbsp=3B I raised many but went away empty handed.&nbs=
p=3B I had a good day though in that I saw a spring peeper of which they ar=
e not often easy find.&nbsp=3B I had other frog species as well and spotted=
 loads of tadpoles.&nbsp=3B I also saw about five or six species of butterf=
lies.&nbsp=3B I was only able to capture a photo of one though=2C which I b=
elieve is a pine elfin.&nbsp=3B I'll verify this once I download the photos=
.&nbsp=3B I also saw my first tiger swallowtail for the year today.&nbsp=3B=
 As well there was one dragonfly active.&nbsp=3B I need to key that out fro=
m the picture as well.&nbsp=3B It was a reddish-yellow one that was about a=
n inch and a half long.&nbsp=3B The resident beaver scared the daylights ou=
t of me as usual.&nbsp=3B I had my head down and it made me kink my neck as=
 I brought my head up too rapidly.&nbsp=3B It still aches but snapped nicel=
y to aleviate the initial pain.&nbsp=3B Birding was good although I did not=
 have my binoculars.&nbsp=3B I was still able to see two ovenbirds=2C three=
 black-throated green warblers=2C three blackburnian warblers=2C a hairy wo=
odpecker=2C a common yellowthroat=2C three black-capped chickadees=2C a yel=
low-rumped warbler and heard about eight or nine other species that I did n=
ot lay eyes on.&nbsp=3B The best bird that I saw&nbsp=3Bwas a common nighth=
awk=2C that was constantly calling and I could hear the wings booming.&nbsp=
=3B This is a location the same as last year and I'll send off my gps co-or=
dinates from close to where the bird was.&nbsp=3B I also have another locat=
ion that I need to get a gps for from a friend who has a resident bird back=
 on territory.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B</font><BR><font size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<B=
.&nbsp=3B There were still 13 black-bellied plovers there.</font><BR><font =
size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">James R. Hirtle</font><BR><f=
ont size=3D"6">Bridgewater&nbsp=3B </font><BR> 		 	   		  </div></body>

--_906cc9d9-db5a-41be-b243-708fdb56b8f5_--