[NatureNS] slacks - when do they refill?

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 16:20:41 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c12240583ae904f9d9c87e

Thanks Fred, but in a dune system, wouldn't that mean that the slacks would
be less than half full with water? These are sand dunes...very porous, so
I'm suspecting water leaching in from the hills of the dunes into the
slacks just couldn't fill them. This is unlike the condition in vernal
pools where there can be ample elevation around from which water could
leach in to the pool area. I'm thinking there has to be a significant rain
or snow fall to fill them.

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 20 May 2014 15:30, Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca> wrote:

> On 5/20/2014 2:18 PM, Randy Lauff wrote:
>
>  Between several of the dunes at Pomquet Beach, Ant. Co., the slacks (the
>> troughs between dune crests) fill with water, but by summer are dry. I
>> guess I've just never been there at the right time to see when they fill
>> again...it can't be just from winter melt water, since the slacks are
>> almost full (and snow melts to about 10% its volume as water). Do the
>> autumn rains fill them again, or the spring rains? Or is it a
>> case-by-case scenario, which I'd just have to monitor?
>>

> * I had the same thought about vernal pools at the CARCNET meeting at
> Quebec City in 1999, during a presentation on Marbled Salamanders, which
> come down into the vernal pools to lay their eggs on the dry pondbed in the
> fall, and stay with them all winter. It turns out that the vernal pools
> fill from the water table, as one would think sandy dunes would. And yes,
> I've been monitoring water level in our local Wood Frog ponds, fall and
> late winter, ever since then.
>
> fred.
>          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
> Daily Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
> Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
>    study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
>          RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
>   on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
>    (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca/

--001a11c12240583ae904f9d9c87e

that the slacks would be less than half full with water? These are sand dun=
es...very porous, so I&#39;m suspecting water leaching in from the hills of=
 the dunes into the slacks just couldn&#39;t fill them. This is unlike the =
condition in vernal pools where there can be ample elevation around from wh=
ich water could leach in to the pool area. I&#39;m thinking there has to be=
 a significant rain or snow fall to fill them.<div>

of<br>Antigonish County, NS.</div>
n dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bckcdb@istar.ca" target=3D"_blank">bckc=
e=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Between several of the dunes at Pomquet Beach, Ant. Co., the slacks (the<br=

troughs between dune crests) fill with water, but by summer are dry. I<br>
guess I&#39;ve just never been there at the right time to see when they fil=
l<br>
again...it can&#39;t be just from winter melt water, since the slacks are<b=
r>
almost full (and snow melts to about 10% its volume as water). Do the<br>
autumn rains fill them again, or the spring rains? Or is it a<br>
case-by-case scenario, which I&#39;d just have to monitor?<br>
* I had the same thought about vernal pools at the CARCNET meeting at Quebe=
c City in 1999, during a presentation on Marbled Salamanders, which come do=
wn into the vernal pools to lay their eggs on the dry pondbed in the fall, =
and stay with them all winter. It turns out that the vernal pools fill from=
 the water table, as one would think sandy dunes would. And yes, I&#39;ve b=
een monitoring water level in our local Wood Frog ponds, fall and late wint=
er, ever since then.<br>

fred.<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0Frederick W. Schueler &amp; Aleta Karstad=
Daily Paintings - <a href=3D"http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/" ta=
Vulnerable Watersheds - <a href=3D"http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/" ta=
=C2=A0 =C2=A0study our books - <a href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/books/index.ht=
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1=
T0<br>
=C2=A0 on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52&#39;N 75* 42&#39;W<br>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0<a href=3D"tel:%28613%29258-3107" value=3D"+16132583107" targe=
t=3D"_blank">(613)258-3107</a> &lt;bckcdb at <a href=3D"http://istar.ca" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">istar.ca</a>&gt; <a href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/" target=3D"=
_blank">http://pinicola.ca/</a><br>

--001a11c12240583ae904f9d9c87e--