[NatureNS] Otters

Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:00:13 -0400
From: Paul Evans <pauldanielevans@gmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--B_3476278817_5584635

Hello Bruce,

I am also interested in Otters and finding opportunities to photograph them=
.

I was in the Shetland Islands (UK) last June and spent a couple of days wit=
an experienced local photographer and guide. He had a great deal of
experience photographing Otters and we spent some time in amongst bird
photography focused on Otters. Despite several sightings, we didn=B9t get any
good photographic opportunities. However, it was fairly informative as my
guide was very familiar with the local population and their behaviours. In
that area (with a much higher population density of Otters), the Otters
would define territories that covered up to several kilometres and would
typically have several different networks of burrows within a territory.
Frequently used territory is well marked by spraying/urination. There would
be territorial differences between males and females with pups, with males
covering a much larger area. The photographers in the Shetlands don=B9t use
blinds a lot. They instead focus on working a shoreline during feeding and
resting activity. The essential element is being downwind. What they would
do is work across a headland to get a view of a long stretch of upwind
shoreline, try to spot an Otter that is moving towards you, move into
position while they are underwater, and let them come to you. Where to go,
and what direction to approach is entirely dictated by wind direction.
Photographing Otters, even in an area of high population is an exercise of
patience, persistence and frustration.

With that said =8B I=B9ve had almost no success locally. I try to keep my eye
open for Otters in the area I frequent for birding and photography (the nea=
Eastern Shore =8A Lawrencetown through Grand Desert). Periodically I will see
an Otter in the Lawrencetown Lake and West Lawrencetown Marsh area. I=B9ve
seen none of the territorial markings and burrows that I saw in the
Shetlands =8B presumably due to a lower population density (and lack of skill
on my part). When I have seen Otters, it has been mostly in open areas,
especially in the winter when things are frozen up. I=B9ve thought the best
photographic opportunity would be during a fairly deep freeze when there is
limited open water. The best sighting of an Otter I had this year was near
Conrad=B9s beach where an Otter was actively feeding on crabs at a small
opening of water for about 30 minutes. Of course, the camera was at home.
=20
A local acquaintance says that during spring there is a small lake and set
of streams, where he regularly see an Otter. He is an experience nature
watcher and has promised to let me know if that Otter turns up this year.

If you have found an Otter that is frequenting a specific area, then a blin=
may be a good approach. But as Darrell suggests, they probably cover a larg=
area and it may be a long wait. Canoeing/kayaking may be a great way to go.

I=B9d love to hear how things go.

Good luck!

If anyone else has knowledge of local Otter behaviour it would be great to
hear.

Paul Evans