[NatureNS] Wolf Reintroduction

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:39:19 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c24edae256b104f29ccdeb

Is there any evidence that humans, specifically Europeans, were responsible
for the wolves being absent from NS?

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 17 February 2014 12:23, Blake Maybank <bmaybank@gmail.com> wrote:

> Except that human hunters do a much less efficient job, they do it
> seasonally, and use very different selection criteria.  And wolves eat more
> than human-preferred game animals.  We are no substitute for wolves as the
> top of the food chain.  Bring back the wolves to NS!
>

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>wrote:
>
>>  A key point about the wolf reintroduction project in Yellowstone
>> National Park is that there is no hunting allowed inside the park. Outside
>> of a national park hunters would have taken care of the overpopulation of
>> elk and/or deer. This is what is happening throughout most of the former
>> range of the wolf. Human hunters have replaced it as the top predator in
>> the terrestrial ecosystems.
>>    Dusan Soudek
>>
>>  <maybank@ns.sympatico.ca>

--001a11c24edae256b104f29ccdeb

________________________<br>

quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex">

ans-serif;font-size:large">Except that human hunters do a much less efficie=
nt job, they do it seasonally, and use very different selection criteria.=
=A0 And wolves eat more than human-preferred game animals.=A0 We are no sub=
stitute for wolves as the top of the food chain.=A0 Bring back the wolves t=
o NS!<br>

l_quote">On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM, Dusan Soudek <span dir=3D"ltr">&=
lt;<a href=3D"mailto:soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca" target=3D"_blank">soudekd@ns.=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
   =20
=20
=20
   A key point about the wolf reintroduction project in Yellowstone Nationa=
l Park is that there is no hunting allowed inside the park. Outside of a na=
tional park hunters would have taken care of the overpopulation of elk and/=
or deer. This is what is happening throughout most of the former range of t=
he wolf. Human hunters have replaced it as the top predator in the terrestr=
ial ecosystems.

</a><br>

--001a11c24edae256b104f29ccdeb--