[NatureNS] Spider ID

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 09:27:17 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Apple-Mail-E1E29779-3F2A-4B0B-9C6E-5648AFA2C56C

Richard, Angus, Jim, and all,

I have found Argiope aurantia here in Nova Scotia, but probably no A. trifas=
ciata unless during summer holidays several years ago.  Certainly none while=
 at the old house I've been working on at Round Hill for the past four summe=
rs. =20
When I lived at my farm in Eastern Ontario, I reserved a section of oldfield=
 next to the garden as a special place for Argiope and Araneus spiders.  I w=
as asked to write an article about "Spider Ranch" by David Shorthouse, who w=
as then editor of Canadian Arachnology.  It was based mainly on the informat=
ion contained on a three page section of my own website.  For those who are i=
nterested in these wonderful spiders, the pages still exist on my site.  The=
 following link will take you to page one.  You will see photos of both Argi=
ope spiders and of an Argiope spinning its egg case (one of the coolest thin=
gs you may ever see).
http://magickcanoe.com/argiope/argiope-1.html
For those who do find one of these large colorful female spiders, you can of=
ten observe their growth over several weeks.  When they become very large, w=
atch closely to see them create their egg case.  After depositing eggs, the s=
pider's abdomen will be noticeably deflated!  Try to leave those egg cases u=
ndisturbed over the winter so that the young spiders may hatch in the spring=
.  It's good to know what these egg cases look like so that you can avoid de=
stroying them when doing autumn clean up around your garden.  I managed the s=
ection of oldfield so that it would not be disturbed from year to year and a=
lso allowed many insect-attracting native plants to grow so as to provide in=
sects as a food supply for the spiders.  At any given time in autumn, there w=
ere often a couple of dozen Argiope and Araneus spinning webs among the gold=
enrod, asters, milkweed, yarrow, queen anne's lace, and evening primrose jus=
t a stone's throw from my kitchen door.  It was most enjoyable to stroll the=
 garden several times each day to see what was happening out there.

bev wigney
Round Hill, NS (in summer)

On 2013-09-24, at 10:13 PM, Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com> wrote:

> You're correct, Richard. They go by slightly different names & is usually c=
alled the Yellow Garden Argiope "Argiope aurantia". Spectacular as you say. T=
hey & another Argiope were common a few years ago but I've not seen any the p=
ast two years.
> Angus
> =20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-E1E29779-3F2A-4B0B-9C6E-5648AFA2C56C

ia, but probably no A. trifasciata unless during summer holidays several yea=
rs ago. &nbsp;Certainly none while at the old house I've been working on at R=
ound Hill for the past four summers. &nbsp;</div><div>When I lived at my far=
m in Eastern Ontario, I reserved a section of oldfield next to the garden as=
 a special place for Argiope and Araneus spiders. &nbsp;I was asked to write=
 an article about "Spider Ranch" by David Shorthouse, who was then editor of=
 Canadian Arachnology. &nbsp;It was based mainly on the information containe=
d on a three page section of my own website. &nbsp;For those who are interes=
ted in these wonderful spiders, the pages still exist on my site. &nbsp;The f=
ollowing link will take you to page one. &nbsp;You will see photos of both A=
rgiope spiders and of an Argiope spinning its egg case (one of the coolest t=
hings you may ever see).</div><a href=3D"http://magickcanoe.com/argiope/argi=
ope-1.html">http://magickcanoe.com/argiope/argiope-1.html</a><div>For those w=
ho do find one of these large colorful female spiders, you can often observe=
 their growth over several weeks. &nbsp;When they become very large, watch c=
losely to see them create their egg case. &nbsp;After depositing eggs, the s=
pider's abdomen will be noticeably deflated! &nbsp;Try to leave those egg ca=
ses undisturbed over the winter so that the young spiders may hatch in the s=
pring. &nbsp;It's good to know what these egg cases look like so that you ca=
n avoid destroying them when doing autumn clean up around your garden. &nbsp=
;I managed the section of oldfield so that it would not be disturbed from ye=
ar to year and also allowed many insect-attracting native plants to grow so a=
s to provide insects as a food supply for the spiders. &nbsp;At any given ti=
me in autumn, there were often a couple of dozen Argiope and Araneus spinnin=
g webs among the goldenrod, asters, milkweed, yarrow, queen anne's lace, and=
 evening primrose just a stone's throw from my kitchen door. &nbsp;It was mo=
st enjoyable to stroll the garden several times each day to see what was hap=
S (in summer)<div><br>On 2013-09-24, at 10:13 PM, Angus MacLean &lt;<a href=3D=

.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px;
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt;
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style>
s &amp; is&nbsp;usually called the Yellow Garden Argiope "Argiope aurantia".=
 Spectacular as you say. They &amp; another Argiope were common a few years a=
go&nbsp;but I've not seen any the past two years.<br>
Angus<br>&nbsp;<br>
iv> 		 	   		  </div>

--Apple-Mail-E1E29779-3F2A-4B0B-9C6E-5648AFA2C56C--