[NatureNS] Bad weather for breeding birds, and disappearing hummingbirds

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:09:31 -0300

eight:16px"&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/u&gt;&lt;/font&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;span style=3D"padding-right:1

------=_NextPart_000_00A0_01CE77D5.69579550

We have fledgling hummingbirds coming to our Wolfville Ridge feeders, not
sure how many but have seen at least three fledgling at the feeders. However
we have feeders at both the front porch (2) and at the back of the house (1)
so it is hard to keep track but the syrup is going down in a hurry.  2-3
adult females and one adult male still visit the feeders as well.

 As far as fledged young seen here, the most successful species has been the
Pine Siskins.  Half a dozen adults appeared in April, stayed to raise
families nearby, and by mid-June brought their brightly coloured offspring
to feed on nijer and sunflower seeds and they have remained.  I have counted
up to 20 siskins at the feeders.

Maybe we are very lucky - we seem to have had more birds here this year than
usual.

Other fledglings  seen: Hairy and Downy woodpeckers, N. Flicker,
White-breasted Nuthatch (this week), Song Sparrow, Red-eyed Vireo,
Blue-headed Vireo, Robin,  Blue Jay, Black-cap. Chickadee, Purple Finch,
Common Grackle, Junco, Starling, and Crow.  After a great struggle to find
enough flying insects to feed their young, the Tree Swallow adults  in my
nest box in the field across the road were able to raise a family after all.
We thought they had given up but they persevered.  I saw the last  two of
their brood  fledge.  Male and female Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are regular
visitors to the feeders. We are keeping our fingers crossed hoping they will
be successful, as we haven't had this species here for quite a few years.

Other species on our property but breeding successor not known: Mourning
Dove, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Veery and Swainson's Thrush, Chipping and
White-throated sparrows, and Goldfinches.  Occasionally I hear and/or see a
male Pileated Woodpecker hammering away on one of the telegraph poles across
the road or on a tree in our woods and wonder if he has raised a family this
year.   Ovenbird and Eastern Wood-Pewee both call continuously in our
backyard though sometimes I hear a male Ovenbird unexpectedly calling in the
middle of the night! It always seems strange to hear that mid-night
"teacher, teacher" call but I suppose it is a reflex reaction of some sort.

Have not seen any Black-and-White Warblers or Am. Redstarts in our woods
this year, but do have  N. Parula, Chestnut-sided, Black-thr. Green,
Ovenbird,  Magnolia and Yellow-rumped warblers, so there's a fair amount of
song.  Surprisingly there are  more Ovenbirds, Parula, Magnolia, and
Chestnut-sided warblers and E. Wood-Pewees here than in the past, but fewer
Black-throated Greens.

 Cheers,

Judy Tufts

  Judy Tufts