[NatureNS] ants and aphids question

From: ulli@dunlin.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 15:24:01 -0300

> Do ants store aphid eggs in their nests? I´ve been picking the aphid "farms" off of the
> vetch near our anthill. Within a day or two, there are new ones. No aphids on vetch
> not near an anthill.

Not sure about local ant species, but some in the tropics keep some of their "lifestock"
indoors and take care for their "calves".
In our geographical range it is more likely that ants will recolonize vacant pastures close to
home by bringing in aphids from further away, i.e. sites undiscovered by you or "wild"
catches.

Also, will I reduce the ant population by destroying this food
> source?
> Jane Schlosberg

Highly unlikely that you will put a dent in the ant population by cleaning off their "milk cows".
There are species of ants that critically depend on this kind of mutal relationship, but as far
as I am aware none of the ones in the Northern ranges are specialized to this degree.

To learn more about ants the books by E.O. Wilson and B. Hoelldobler are highly
recommended:
1) "Journey to the ants" is a more popular science book
2)" Ants" used to be the bible back in the 90s

Some libraries have at least 1) and maybe even 2) as it won a publitzer price back in the
days.

Ulli