[NatureNS] Lady Slippers

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 19:04:59 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_2CC1_01CE4443.47BEB060

Hi Angela & All,                        Apr 28, 2013
    It was (and perhaps still is) illegal to pick Common Lady's Slipper =
(Cypripedium acaule) in parts of New England but the prohibition has no =
sound biological basis.=20
    Under our conditions and in typical years only the most vigorous =
blossoms (roughly 1% of total blooms) will set fruit by natural =
pollination by Bees. But if hand pollinated at the right time (as I have =
described on NatureNS) nearly 100% of hand pollinated flowers will set =
fruit.=20
    So one should avoid picking flowers that have unusually long scapes =
that spring from unusually large leaves and also avoid picking flowers =
near walkways. But if picking a few CLS flowers can trigger or reinforce =
someone's interest in and respect for the natural world then it is =
flowers well spent. The look but don't touch attitude will literally =
pave the road to hell.
    Hand pollination briefly is as follows-- 1) examine a flower and =
identify the two small pollen bearing structures and the single =
stigmatic surface. 2) take a spent plastic ink tube from a ball-point =
pen (about 2.5 mm diam) to act as a transfer tool. 3) check a flower for =
developmental stage. If ready for hand pollination then a waxy pollen =
deposit will stick to the plastic when the tube side near the end is =
rolled against a pollen structure. 4) this waxy deposit can then be =
transferred to a stigmatic surface by rolling the tube as before. I take =
pollen from one blossom and transfer it to a second (as a precaution) =
but suspect this is unnecessary because the initial pollen source plant =
also frequently sets.5) If few plants are ready then wait a few days and =
try again. The scape persists overwinter so pollinated plants can be =
marked with flagging tape, tied low on the scape, with year and plant =
number printed by marking pen.
    Apart from the 10 % or so that deer munch, and who can say whether =
or not they would have set, all of my hand-pollinated blossoms have set =
fruit.
Yt, Dave Webster Kentville
  ----- Original Message -----=20