[NatureNS] Lapland/Laconia Owl Monitoring Route

Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 07:58:51 -0700 (PDT)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;&gt;&gt; _____________________________

---503442473-772272731-1366210731=:63634

Hi Ron;
=A0
Scott's comments/concerns have been expressed to me before in regards to th=
e BBS data we gather.=A0 Cindy Staicer, from whom I took an Ornithology cou=
rse at Dalhousie, believed that the birds singing on a BBS route in June we=
re unpaired birds and therefore could not be used to give an indication of =
how many birds were breeding on that route.=A0 It certainly made sense - bu=
t raised a lot of questions in my mind, such as: if a lot of birds are sing=
ing on territory, does that mean they were attracted there because it was g=
ood breeding habitat?=A0 other birds of the same species are nesting fairly=
 close by?=A0 the singing birds found an abandoned nest site and were hopin=
g to use it?=A0 There's no sure=A0way to answer these questions but it woul=
d seem that a lot of birds singing in one area would be an indication of a =
fair amount of breeding success even if it weren't those particular individ=
uals who were doing the breeding.
=A0
Since all these surveys are meant to show indications rather than exact res=
ults (there's no way to say exactly how many birds are present when you onl=
y spend a proscribed number of minutes at each stop) then perhaps BSC (and =
Cornell and Audubon) is way ahead of us on this?
=A0
Cheers;
Suzanne
=A0