[NatureNS] tree biomass fuel panned by The Economist

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 23:46:42 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_60CB_01CE3645.A70F1570

Hi Mary & All,                            Apr 10, 2013
    It is past my bedtime but I feel compelled to offer a few =
observations.=20

    First, The Economist may be a respected source but some (e.g. DW) =
consider it suspect because, with few exceptions, the articles are =
anonymous.  I prefer to know who the author is and, when applicable, who =
pays his or her bills and why.

    Second, the premise that wood or any energy source is carbon neutral =
is nonsence. It depends entirely on the context of growth and use. [ The =
sound of a Violin, if played poorly, can be dreadful. But that does not =
justify denouncing the instrument.]

    Third, lets consider how use of wood can be nearly carbon neutral. =
It must be harvested and transported to the point of combustion with a =
minimum of petrochemical energy. Transporting wood by gas guzzlers to =
the far corners of the world is far from carbon neutral.=20
    One of the best ways to approach carbon neutrality was developed in =
Europe generations ago; coppicing of hardwood at low grazing pressure =
and pollarding at high. The driving force initially of course was just a =
matter of convenience and rapid regrowth, not carbon fixation =
considerations. The advantage of these systems is the very rapid =
regrowth of suckers such that carbon fixation even in the first several =
years after cutting can approach that of full grown trees.=20
    On the other hand, If the initial forest were softwood or mixed and =
overstocked then one can extract trees with no loss or even a gain in =
net carbon fixation. When forests are overstocked, as a consequence of =
e.g. regrowth from fire, windthrow or cutting and not thinned then the =
weaker trees eventually die and rot in the woods (releasing carbon) but =
until they die may decrease the overall carbon fixation (think candles =
with a tiny flame of chlorophyll above the wick).
    Further when there is substantial blowdown, extraction of downed or =
damaged trees may increase net carbon fixation for a considerable =
period, provided extraction is not carbon intensive, because most of =
these downed trees will gradually rot and release as much carbon as they =
would if burned. And in the meantime they act as traps for windblown Fir =
seeds which form dense thickets that over 50 years or less all die and =
rot.      We had a combination of high winds and heavy rain December 13, =
2010 and in some places with impaired surface drainage patches of 20-40 =
trees went down domino effect. In areas with better surface drainage =
only the largest trees went down  and in wet areas clumps of 5-8 trees =
went over as a unit. And, oddly enough, trees that apparently had root =
systems damaged at that time continue to progressively lean and topple. =
And all of these, if not cut and burned, will generate Fir thickets and =
then thickets of dead/rotting Fir trees.

    Fourth, the idea that old-growth forests fix carbon is indeed =
nonsence. An old forest, in balance, will by definition release as much =
carbon as it fixes.=20
   =20
    Fifth, distorting the market by offering an ill conceived subsidy in =
order to meet some artificial target is as counterproductive as a =
weight-loss program that resorts to amputation. And this, it seems to me =
is the major flaw in the European wood use initiative (as described in =
the current article). Think mandated targets for bio-fuel consumption =
(to reduce carbon emissions). So you clear and burn vast areas of virgin =
rain-forest to plant oil-palms; thus helping to meet bio-fuel targets =
while greatly increasing carbon emissions. Corn to alcohol is likewise =
flawed. Burn 3 units of petrochemical carbon to generate one unit of =
corn carbon. [Corn to alcohol, on the other hand would be nearly carbon =
neutral if the corn were grown with ox-power and elbow grease; distilled =
using plant fiber as fuel.] These pressure-cooker schemes for =
subsidy-induced change are a direct result of Politicians, who by =
necessity work within a short timeframe, being directly involved as =
opposed to Technocrats who could, if allowed to do so, work within =
realistic timeframes.

    Sixth, I have favored maximum use of wind for decades but =
unfortunately there are many speed bumps yet to be resolved; e.g. =
homeowners who fear health problems pitted against company reps who =
scoff at the idea > stalemate.=20

    Seventh, the optimum approach, as in all undertakings is =
multi-strand, balanced and=20
cost effective. Wood is not the silver bullet but it can be one silver =
bullet of many.

    Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
  ----- Original Message -----=20