[NatureNS] Fw: Gray Catbird, Purple Sandpipers and Great Egret

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:38:32 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01CDDD57.4384C3C0

----- Original Message -----=20
From: Hans Toom=20
To: NS-RBA=20
Cc: Ray Staszko=20
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:37 PM
Subject: Gray Catbird, Purple Sandpipers and Great Egret

The Gray Catbird continues to be a daily visitor at our place, feeding =
on multiflora rose berries and ignoring the suet put out for it. It's =
sad to watch a bird's life slowly drain away.=20

A large Sharp-shinned Hawk looking to be a 14 inch female has been =
working our property. The small head, too small for its body, gives its =
identity away. I think it's these large female sharpies that often get =
ID'd as Cooper's Hawks. The unusually dumb Mourning Doves sleep on the =
branches, exposed to the world, and get snatched away in an explosion of =
down.

There were at least five Purple Sandpipers visible at Duncan Reef =
December 12. The sea was a flat calm so I scrambled across some seaside =
rocks to get some fairly decent photos of these guys. They are among the =
tamest of the sandpipers but a challenge to photograph thanks to the =
seaside surf and slippery rocks.

I had business up the eastern shore this morning so I included a run for =
the Great Egret. It's previous haunts at the pond by Seaforth are mostly =
frozen over now. No problem for the egret since it simply hopped over =
the hill to Chezzetcook Inlet near the 6900 Block, Highway 207. It was =
close to the road but as usual partially obscured by reeds. I think I =
got some decent photos nonetheless.

Hans
________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01CDDD57.4384C3C0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
title=3Dhtoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href=3D"mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans =
Toom</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=3DNS-RBA@yahoogroups.com=20
href=3D"mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Cc:</B> <A title=3Draystaszko@eastlink.ca=20
href=3D"mailto:raystaszko@eastlink.ca">Ray Staszko</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:37 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Gray Catbird, Purple Sandpipers and Great =
Egret</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>The <STRONG>Gray Catbird</STRONG> =
continues to be a=20
daily visitor at our place, feeding on multiflora rose berries and =
ignoring the=20
suet put out for it. It's sad to watch a bird's life slowly drain away.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>A large <STRONG>Sharp-shinned =
Hawk</STRONG> looking=20
to be a 14 inch female has been working&nbsp;our&nbsp;property.&nbsp;The =
small=20
head, too small for its body,&nbsp;gives its identity away. I think it's =
these=20
large female sharpies that often get ID'd as <STRONG>Cooper's =
Hawks</STRONG>.=20
The unusually dumb <STRONG>Mourning Doves</STRONG> sleep on the =
branches,=20
exposed to the world, and get snatched away in an explosion of=20
down.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>There were at least five <STRONG>Purple =

Sandpipers</STRONG> visible at Duncan Reef December 12. The sea was a =
flat calm=20
so I scrambled across some seaside rocks to get some fairly decent =
photos of=20
these guys. They are among the tamest of the sandpipers but a challenge =
to=20
photograph thanks to the seaside surf and slippery rocks.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>I had business up the eastern shore =
this morning so=20
I included a run for the <STRONG>Great Egret</STRONG>. It's previous =
haunts at=20
the pond by Seaforth are mostly frozen over now. No problem for the =
egret since=20
it simply hopped over the hill to Chezzetcook Inlet near the 6900 Block, =
Highway=20
207. It was close to the road but as usual partially obscured by reeds. =
I think=20
I got some decent photos nonetheless.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2=20
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A><BR></DIV><=
/FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0030_01CDDD57.4384C3C0--