[NatureNS] Forest Persectives, White or American Elm (Ulmus

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 15:25:53 -0300
From: David Patriquin <patriqui@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Dusan Soudek <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
Cc: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

In Halifax both American Elm and Scotch Elm are common, possibly
others. American elm is highly susceptible to DED, Scotch apparently
has some resistance. I think it is only a matter of time before most
of the American elms go down. The restricted species diversity of NS
forests and  rising issues with both native pests (set off by climate
change) and exotic pests in N.A.  is a major reason in my
not-professional-opinion for introducing more species from the south
as our climate becomes suitable for them.

Speaking of pests, Gary Saunders of McPhail Woods in PEI gave a
wonderful presentation to the NS Wild Flora Society last week on
"Restoring the Acadian Forest" in which he mentioned that an invasive
pest is aggressively chewing down witherod (wild raisin) in PEI,
something I think we should be on the lookout for in NS.    I believe
it is the Viburnum Leaf Beetle,
http://www.gov.pe.ca/af/agweb/index.php3?number=74367&lang=f
It has been sighted in Nova Scotia on domestic Vibrunums (2005), and
possibly as early as 1924.
http://www.hort.cornell.edu/vlb/csphoto.html
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18705014
http://www.entsoc.org/PDF/Pubs/Periodicals/AE/AE-2007/Summer/Weston.pdf