[NatureNS] BIG OAK

Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 23:28:16 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_3525718==.ALT

Heather and all,

         What a coincidence!  I went up Torrington Drive on Monday
evening after work, heading to Jean Hartley's.  I am afraid that I
stopped my car in the middle of the street at the sight of that
downed tree!  What an immense stump!  And the logs that were lying
around it - like the wheels off some juggernaut.  Jean told me that
the whole neighbourhood was lamenting the loss of such a landmark.  I
don't know about 400 years old, but a tree of that size has my respect.

          There was an old estate in that area that dated back to
1801.  I don't mean Governor Wentworth's estate at Prince's Lodge,
but Rev. Robert Stanser's country house called "Sherwood Park".   It
was built "on a steep rise with a commanding view of Birch Cove and
the Bedford Basin".  Sharon and Wayne Ingall's book, Sweet Suburb: a
history of  Prince's Lodge, Birch Cove, and Rockingham (2010),
records that Stanser named his "country house Sherwood, perhaps
because the forest behind their home reminded them of Sherwood Forest
in England."  There are early descriptions of the scenic beauty of
the landscape and its abundant trees.  That doesn't help to decide
whether the tree was planted after the estate was laid out or not,
though.  I do hope you are able to determine the age and species of the tree.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax