[NatureNS] fireflies, hermit thrush, rayon - travelling

From: Mary Macaulay <marymacaulay@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 10:10:17 -0300

--_ec6b7241-62f8-44a3-aa12-b4b90d9b1035_

I was on a business trip up through NB this past week and then on to Ontari=
o. Pulp mills up in Dalhousie and campbellton and elsewhere have closed and=
 are closing. This won't help the forests though. Interests from India are =
buying up the rights to make Rayon for clothing. The NB Appalachians have h=
ad a lot of forestry (read deforestry) pressure on them. I stayed overnight=
 at a B&B outside Saint Quentin and in the early evening went for a walk al=
ong the dirt road outside. The right sidee of the road had a short strip of=
 original mixed forest left intact. The left side was a monoculture plantat=
ion of pines. The birds singing on my right hand side were incredible and i=
ncluded several hermit thrush. The left side was dead silent. Had a similar=
 experience in the evening here in Cornwall=2C ont where I'm staying now. T=
here is an extensive park along the river which was entirely wild and full =
of all kinds of different native plants and wildflowers and fireflies every=
where at night when I was a child. They tore it up and made it a lawn with =
a few trees and on patch of native garden right at the end of it. We walked=
 the whole way at night and it wasn't until we reached the native plantings=
 that we saw fireflies.
 		 	   		  =

--_ec6b7241-62f8-44a3-aa12-b4b90d9b1035_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style></head>
ugh NB this past week and then on to Ontario. Pulp mills up in Dalhousie an=
d campbellton and elsewhere have closed and are closing. This won&#39=3Bt h=
elp the forests though. Interests from India are buying up the rights to ma=
ke Rayon for clothing. The NB Appalachians have had a lot of forestry (read=
 deforestry) pressure on them. I stayed overnight at a B&amp=3BB outside Sa=
int Quentin and in the early evening went for a walk along the dirt road ou=
tside. The right sidee of the road had a short strip of original mixed fore=
st left intact. The left side was a monoculture plantation of pines. The bi=
rds singing on my right hand side were incredible and included several herm=
it thrush. The left side was dead silent. Had a similar experience in the e=
vening here in Cornwall=2C ont where I&#39=3Bm staying now. There is an ext=
ensive park along the river which was entirely wild and full of all kinds o=
f different native plants and wildflowers and fireflies everywhere at night=
 when I was a child. They tore it up and made it a lawn with a few trees an=
d on patch of native garden right at the end of it. We walked the whole way=
 at night and it wasn&#39=3Bt until we reached the native plantings that we=

--_ec6b7241-62f8-44a3-aa12-b4b90d9b1035_--