[NatureNS] sapsucker-hummingbird symbiosis observation

Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 22:53:01 -0400
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;DIV&gt
On 6/30/2012 4:13 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

> I have often wondered how Sapsuckers manage to get phloem sap to run.
> Looking at an Alder with fresh holes that I collected, probably in late
> May or early June because I was fishing, years ago it suggests that they
> keep enlarging a cell until it dries up. Feeding cells are lined up
> along the axis and perhaps making a cut on the source side of the flow
> reduces plugging when subsequent holes are cut downstream of this. Just
> speculation.

* I looked into this a few years ago when I was writing a piece about
Sapsuckers, and the answer then was that nobody knew how they make the
holes and get the sap to flow. Ornithologists have tried, and failed, to
imitate whatever it is the Sapsuckers do, confirming that Sapsuckers are
among the coolest of Birds.

fred.
           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Thirty Years Later Expedition -