[NatureNS] NSBS Hants co field trip

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 14:27:28 -0300

We had a gorgeous day (+14 - +28) for the NSBS Historic Hants County field
trip which started at Mount Uniacke House last Monday, Victoria Day. Approx
20 people started along the trails close to the Museum. We heard a few
warblers there and saw a Pileated Woodpecker close to the parking lot. No
loons or grebes on the lake, but there was a Swamp Sparrow and the woods
were full of ...Kinglets.

Subsequent stops produced more warblers, the best perhaps being a Northern
Waterthrush at the bottom of Elliott Road.  Our best stop, however was McKay
Section, just before turning the corner and heading into Smileys Prov. Park.
That stop produced Bobolinks, Tree and Barn Swallows, a Chimney Swift, a
Hooded Merganser, a Wilsons Snipe, a Bald Eagle, Yellow warblers, Red-winged
Blackbirds, Grackles and another Swamp Sparrow. We picked up a
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and Evening Grosbeaks at Smileys and a Grey Catbird
in Windsor. There were some Northern Shovellers in the second sewage pond in
Windsor.

I decided to skip College Road this year since most residents had taken down
their feeders. Clarence Stevens offered to take a quick look for us - and
when he rejoined the group he reported Cliff Swallows in the field across
from the Nursing Home! That'll teach me to skip stops!

All in all we tallied 69 species for the day, which included 13 warbler
species and 5 woodpecker species.

Suzanne Borkowski