[NatureNS] a wiener-eating snapping turtle !!!

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: "Ivan Soudek" <isoudek@kingston.net>,
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 20:38:30 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01CD3791.AE7E97D0

      Members of my canoeing party were highly surprised (and amused!) =
by a wiener-eating snapping turtle. The creature was totally wild, and =
large, with a carapace length estimated at nearly 40 cm. It was proudly =
shown to us by some campers at a popular access point to Hants County's =
Herbert River.
    The campers, who spend every Victoria Day weekend at the same site, =
feed it raw wieners. They have been doing so for the last seven years. =
They recognize "their" individual by an unusual mark on its carapace, =
possibly an old scar. Apparently it "took them a long time to establish =
trust," as one of the campers explained to me.=20
    I witnessed the turtle swimming after and swallowing a floating =
piece of wiener, and minutes earlier other members of my crew witnessed =
the wild turtle being hand-fed.
    It looks like the annual Victoria Day weekend feast on processed =
meat does no visible harm to the ancient turtle.... Any other tame wild =
snapping turtle stories?
   Dusan Soudek

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01CD3791.AE7E97D0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Members of my =
canoeing party=20
were highly surprised (and amused!) by a&nbsp;wiener-eating snapping =
turtle. The=20
creature was totally wild, and large, with a carapace length estimated =
at nearly=20
40 cm.&nbsp;It was proudly shown to us&nbsp;by some campers at a popular =
access=20
point to Hants County's Herbert River.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The campers, who spend every =
Victoria Day=20
weekend at the same site, feed it raw wieners. They have been doing so =
for the=20
last seven years. They recognize&nbsp;"their" individual&nbsp;by an =
unusual mark=20
on its carapace, possibly an old scar. Apparently it "took them a long =
time to=20
establish trust," as one of the campers explained to me. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I witnessed the turtle swimming =
after and=20
swallowing a floating piece of wiener, and minutes earlier other members =
of=20
my&nbsp;crew witnessed the wild turtle being hand-fed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; It looks like the&nbsp;annual =
Victoria Day=20
weekend feast on processed meat does no visible harm to the ancient =
turtle....=20
Any other tame wild snapping turtle stories?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp; Dusan Soudek</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01CD3791.AE7E97D0--