Swift again: was Re: [NatureNS] 50th Anniversary of Silent Spring

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 17:55:16 -0300

'Times New Roman'; font-style: normal; font-

------=_NextPart_000_0F4E_01CD2243.67A25EE0

Hi Chris & All,                    Apr 24, 2012
    I had to sit this one until now. busy with income tax.

    We could get bogged down in small points but, quite apart from muddy =
presentation, the big picture bothers me more. The statistics in the =
paper deal with measurement error and associations between variates but =
can not define experimental error because they had only one roost.=20

    From this case study of one roost it is therefore entirely unsound =
to apply the conclusions to the entire Swift population. Measuring one =
hen egg a million times, to obtain absolute precision, does not provide =
any insight into the dimensions of eggs in general or even of hen eggs =
in general.

    A quote from DISCUSSION says it all; "Their (Swift) population =
declines are probably a product of the general decrease in relative =
abundance of Coleoptera from the early 1970 to 1992 (Fig. 2c) [sic"]: 2b =
intended.

    To swallow the above (no pun intended) you have to accept that--
1) Beetles and true bugs constitute the Swift's diet almost entirely,

2) A questionably significant decrease in relative abundance of Beetle =
debris from 0.6 to 0.4 contributed to a 90% decline in Swift population =
and

3) Essentially the same decrease in Beetle relative abundance would be =
found in roosts throughout the range of Chimney Swifts.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
   =20

   =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20