[NatureNS] re Aliens & Invasives

To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 16:06:48 -0300

--Apple-Mail-3--285193088
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

I am new to this thread, and have just read Lance's latest -- I would
distinguish between aliens (non-natives) and invasives, and for all
non-native additions to our fauna/ecosystems, I would consider the
harm or disbenefits from the introduction and spread to be axiomatic
or to be assumed until shown otherwise (very unlikely ever) -- in
many or most or even all cases, all the various forms of harm from
introduced organisms have not been studied and proven.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
> Date: March 21, 2012 1:43:00 PM ADT
> To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
> Subject: RE:[NatureNS] Invasives
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> This is a very interesting question. I know David Webster has
> commented on invasives before as has Fred Schueler so I look
> forward to their input on the subject. Personally, I don't think
> there is a definitive answer.
>
> For example, should we limit our view to Nova Scotia, expand it to
> Canada or remove the political boundaries from the equation and
> look at North America. What time frame should we look at when
> evaluating a species? The last century, since Europeans arrived,
> since the last ice age or longer? Many species would have crossed
> into North America on the land bridge from Asia after the last ice
> age and even today there are at least some bird species that are
> 'colonizing' Canada from elsewhere.
>
> One provincial government that shall remain nameless but is
> composed of Toronto Maple Leaf fans, defines invasive species as
> "... coming from other countries or regions and moving outside
> their native habitat".  Depending on how restrictive a definition
> is placed on "native habitat" this would seem to rule out a number
> of species that are often considered invasive. House Sparrows for
> instance. For the most part, they are certainly occupying the same
> habitat (broad definition) as they are in Europe. Perhaps a human
> assistance component must be added in for something to be
> considered 'invasive' but this isn't in their definition. Perhaps
> some things we consider invasive aren't really invasive in the
> truest sense of the word. Or perhaps a measure of negative impact
> to the existing, established species should be taken into account.
> If that were the case, House Sparrows would fall under the invasive
> category.
> To get back to your original question Paul, I think the time frame
> of consideration has been artificially restricted to within the
> past 100 years or so and the area of consideration is again
> artificially set by whichever group or agency is looking at it.
> Anything which has arrived within this time frame and in the area
> under consideration via some form of human assistance is popularly
> considered invasive. Having defined these parameters, personally I
> don't think there is a time limit after which the invasive becomes
> native. Once an organism has been labeled as invasive it stays as
> invasive. If it has escaped this scrutiny (e.g. earthworms through
> most of North America are of European settler origin I believe)
> they are thought of as at worst, non-native rather than invasive.
> All the best,
> Lance

--Apple-Mail-3--285193088

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
I am new to this thread, and have just read Lance's latest -- I would =
distinguish between aliens (non-natives) and invasives, and for all =
non-native additions to our fauna/ecosystems, I would consider the harm =
or disbenefits from the introduction and spread to be axiomatic or to be =
assumed until shown otherwise (very unlikely ever) -- in many or most or =
even all cases, all the various forms of harm from introduced organisms =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000"><b>From: =
</b></font><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px =
Helvetica">"Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:lance.laviolette@lmco.com">lance.laviolette@lmco.com</a>&gt=
;</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">March 21, 2012 1:43:00 PM =
ADT</font></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica">"<a =
href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>" =
&lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:naturens@chebucto.ns.ca">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a>&gt;</f=
ont></div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" =
size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: =
#000000"><b>Subject: <