[NatureNS] The rise and fall of Common Lady's Slippers (long)

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 21:50:38 -0400

Hi Fred & All,                   Jan 18, 2012
    Having thought this through again, in the light of the various posts,  I
would have to assume an indirect effect of low oxygen, caused by smothering
under ice (that may or may not have been present at this site), that
gradually weakened the fungal association (15 of the 16 flowers that I hand
pollenated in 2009 set a capsule so the plants up to mid June must have been
reasonably healthy).

    All in all, the above explanation is too iffy to carry any weight so
'unknown causes' seems the better choice. Plants come and go in the course
of secondary succession, as I have observed many times, including a CLS
stand of about 25 plants some 300 paces away that flickered out in the early
2000s.  So I should not have considered this fadeout to be exceptional.

    And some plant-like organisms come & go but in the same place

    Nearly every year in the 1980s we had one or more feeds of Hydnum
repandum, always scattered within the same small (~4 M diam) patch of
woodland that, to my eyes, resembles the adjacent 4 acres. Then for about 2
decades I saw none there (on and beside the main road so hard to miss) so I
had written it off as lost but in 2011, a year of excessive rainfall, it
reappeared in the same place.

    Nearly every year, for 45 years, Coprinus plicatus has come up on the
same small patch of lawn, neither gaining nor losing ground in all this
time.
 Some organisms render their environment unsuitable and must spread or
perish. But these two seem, in these instances at least,  to have survived
without expanding into fresh ground.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville