[NatureNS] Fw: Pine Warbler, Northern Mockingbird,

From: Hans Toom <htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2011 13:39:12 -0400

--Boundary_(ID_2b8uhVABWs+g4CpTxqmRfQ)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: NS-RBA
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:38 PM
Subject: Pine Warbler, Northern Mockingbird, Northern Shrike and Harlequin Ducks

Yesterday Laura spotted a Pine Warbler outside our living room window. A Northern Mockingbird has become a regular visitor to our property in Portuguese Cove. I had one overwinter a few years ago. It took a serious liking to large purple grapes.

This morning at Duncan Reef there were two Harlequin Ducks foraging amongst the myriad of eiders. Along Chebucto Head Road I encountered my first Northern Shrike of the year and three Gray Jays also made an appearance. Later at Sambro Harbour the winter birds are beginning to arrive, two Common Loons, eight Black Guillemots and two Bald Eagles in company, side by side, with two Common Ravens devouring something dead seaside .

Last Sunday's walk at Sir Sanford Fleming Park revealed at least one American Coot still present in the Frog Pond.

Hans
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
http://www.hanstoom.com/

--Boundary_(ID_2b8uhVABWs+g4CpTxqmRfQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19154">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com">NS-RBA</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, December 01, 2011 1:38 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Pine Warbler, Northern Mockingbird, Northern Shrike and
Harlequin Ducks</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Yesterday Laura spotted a <STRONG>Pine
Warbler</STRONG> outside our living room window. A <STRONG>Northern Mockingbird
</STRONG>has become a regular&nbsp;visitor to our property in Portuguese Cove. I
had one overwinter a few years ago. It took a&nbsp;serious liking to large
purple grapes.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>This morning at Duncan Reef there were two
<STRONG>Harlequin Ducks</STRONG> foraging amongst the myriad of eiders. Along
Chebucto Head Road I encountered my first <STRONG>Northern Shrike</STRONG> of
the year and three <STRONG>Gray Jays</STRONG> also made an appearance. Later at
Sambro Harbour the winter birds are beginning to arrive, two <STRONG>Common
Loons</STRONG>, eight <STRONG>Black Guillemots</STRONG> and two <STRONG>Bald
Eagles</STRONG> in company, side by side, with two <STRONG>Common
Ravens</STRONG> devouring&nbsp;something dead&nbsp;seaside .</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Last Sunday's walk at Sir Sanford Fleming Park
revealed at least one <STRONG>American Coot</STRONG> still present in the Frog
Pond.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/">http://www.hanstoom.com/</A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_2b8uhVABWs+g4CpTxqmRfQ)--