[NatureNS] A bit more trivia about St.Kilda birds

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 08:06:35 -0300
To: srshaw@dal.ca, NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0015174c4030ee3f4104aeefc979

Hi again,

Liz reminded me that a friend of ours was born in the Outer Hebrides, and
now lives in Kings Co., NS. She lent Liz a book about St.Kilda some time
ago. In it was mentioned that

- many babies died of tetanus, because midwifes rubbed Fulmar oil on the
umbilical cords to try and stop them bleeding.
- people started to evolve extra large big toes, to help them climb down the
cliffs for eggs.

Other interesting bird facts -

- there is a unique race of Winter wren there (probably a separate species)
- the St.Kilda Wren
- the shearwaters that nest there by the thousands are Manx
- approx. 65,000 Fulmars nest there
- the last Great Auk killed in Europe was killed there in 1840, as it was
found in a storm, and believed to be a witch that caused the storm.
- The world's largest colony of gannets nests there

etc.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

--0015174c4030ee3f4104aeefc979

Hi again,<br><br>Liz reminded me that a friend of ours was born in the Oute=
r Hebrides, and now lives in Kings Co., NS. She lent Liz a book about St.Ki=
lda some time ago. In it was mentioned that <br><br>- many babies died of t=
etanus, because midwifes rubbed Fulmar oil on the umbilical cords to try an=
d stop them bleeding.<br>

- people started to evolve extra large big toes, to help them climb down th=
a unique race of Winter wren there (probably a separate species) - the St.K=
ilda Wren<br>

- the shearwaters that nest there by the thousands are Manx<br>- approx. 65=
,000 Fulmars nest there<br>- the last Great Auk killed in Europe was killed=
 there in 1840, as it was found in a storm, and believed to be a witch that=
 caused the storm.<br>

- <font face=3D"Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=3D"-1">The world&#39;s
 AM, Richard Stern <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gma=

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">Hi,<br><br>I tried googling Rev. Donald Joh=
n Gillies. It seems that his book on St.Kilda is available on Amazon etc. H=
e apparently has (or had) a daughter living in Port Coquitlam, BC. I couldn=
&#39;t find any info about his life in NS, but he apparently &quot;traveled=
 widely&quot; after leaving Scotland.<br>

 with the highest sea cliffs in Europe, the biggest colonies of several sea=
birds anywhere, etc. I have seen pictures of the old inhabitants rappelling=
 down the cliffs to collect birds eggs (I can&#39;t remember where), and it=
 looks highly difficult and dangerous. It&#39;s possible, but not easy, and=
 very expensive, to visit there -=A0 there&#39;s a great web site all about=
 the place at <a href=3D"http://www.kilda.org.uk/Default.htm" target=3D"_bl=
ank">http://www.kilda.org.uk/Default.htm</a> . <br>

eland. I found them tough, fishy and horrible! There are probably people on=
 NatureNS who like &quot;Turr&quot; (Newfoundlandese for alcids in general)=
 and they may disagree.<br>

ote">On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 3:37 PM, Stephen R. Shaw <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;=
srshaw@dal.ca&gt;</s=
pan> wrote:<br>

x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
This is only obliquely triggered, by Richard Stern&#39;s mention of fulmar =
below. On the plane flying back from UK recently I&#39;d been reading the m=
emoir of Rev. Donald John Gillies &#39;The Truth about St. Kilda. An island=
er&#39;s memoir&#39; [ISBN: 978 1 9065666 07 4; <a href=3D"http://www.birli=
n.co.uk" target=3D"_blank">www.birlin.co.uk</a>]. =A0There are other books =
on St Kilda but apparently this is the only account of the privations on th=
e outermost, very isolated western isle off Scotland to have been written b=
y someone who was actually raised there (the main island is called Hirta or=
 Hirte). =A0On pages 7-10 he gives an account of the birds of St. Kilda upo=
n which the inhabitants depended for food, which might be of interest to so=
me birders and others on this list if it is not already known here. =A0Gill=
ies&#39; account includes:<br>

Families got through the winter on a diet of &#39;salt mutton, salt fish an=
d salt fulmar&#39;. =A0His family had two casks (barrels?) of salted young =
Fulmar laid down each year in order to make it through the winter. He doesn=
&#39;t say, but these presumably were procured from nests on the cliffs by =
&#39;craggsmen&#39; on ropes.<br>

The first birds to migrate in after the winter, in early April, were Shearw=
aters (species not IDd). =A0These were caught at night with the aid of a tr=
ained dog (perhaps 6 birds in a night) and were considered delicious after =
a long winter of fulmar.<br>

The second birds to arrive were Puffins around May 1, seen earlier in rafts=
 of millions on the sea nearby. He mentions also seeing them elsewhere afte=
r he left St Kilda, including near Bird Isle off Sydney, Cape Breton. The s=
heath of the bill is discarded after the breeding season and was prized by =
&#39;Indians for making necklaces&#39;. As many as 150 would be killed and =
shared out among families who couldn&#39;t collect them for themselves. Del=
icious barbecued, he says.<br>

They also harvested Guillemots by lying inert on ledges on sea stacks at ni=
ght disguised in rock-matching clothing, picking the birds off as they flew=
 in just before dawn. =A0All the collecting sounds dangerous. =A0He alone c=
aught 42 in one expedition to a nearby island, others more.<br>

There was a large colony of gannets on Stac Lee, and apart from the danger =
of trying to land on this sea stack, these were trickier to surprise becaus=
e there was always a lookout bird (&#39;kingbird&#39;) on duty that could g=
ive the alarm. =A0If this bird could be surprised and killed, the hunt woul=
d be successful. Earlier, gannets were said to have been the main food item=
 on St Kilda.<br>

There was also egg collection from the cliffs by craggsmen absailing on rop=
es, though he doesn&#39;t give much detail apart from a couple of human dea=
ths.<br>
Gillies left St Kilda in the 1920s for the mainland and eventually emigrate=
d to Nova Scotia as an ordained minister, and travelled widely after that, =
returning to St K in the 1960s and in 1979. =A0As young people left the isl=
and after WW1 the remaining islanders could no longer do all the heavy work=
 required to survive (e.g. peat cutting, bird collecting) and petitioned th=
e British government to relocate them to the mainland. =A0This evacuation t=
ook place in 1930, leaving St Kilda uninhabited since. =A0The book was comp=
iled posthumously from 6 rambling notebooks written by a man raised in an o=
ral, non-literary tradition. =A0I wouldn&#39;t recommend it as a particular=
ly gripping read, but it contains some interesting social information about=
 the traditions of the St Kildians.<br>

Does anyone know if anything is known about this Rev Gillies in Nova Scotia=
, after his immigration here?<br>
Steve, Halifax<br>
Quoting Stern &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com" target=3D"_blan=
k">sternrichard@gmail.com</a>&gt;:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
Hi,<br>
Brier was quieter today - still many birds and a different mix from yesterd=
ay , but (so far) no real rarities. Fulmar and Leach&#39;s storm-petrel wer=
e interesting on this afternoon&#39; pelagic. Bonaparte&#39;s gulls were at=
 N. Point and Pond Cove.<br>

Richard Stern<br>
ail.com</a><br>
Sent from my iPhone<br>